Bioterrorism Emergency Preparedness for Hospitals
The following articles and supply lists are resource documents to assist you in your planning. They are not lists of equipment MDH recommends for any hospital to purchase. Selection of PPE should be initially based on local and regional needs, along with your hazard vulnerability analysis. You will need to coordinate the purchase of your PPE with your county emergency manager, fire service, other HAZMAT resources, and other hospitals in your region. Training in the use/limitations of PPE and drills are critical to assure safe and effective isolation and decontamination procedures. Physical limitations and physiologic effects of different types of PPE must be considered, along with required fit testing, maintenance, and service of PPE equipment.
- Hospital Personal Protective Equipment Overview for Chemical / Radiologic Decontamination (PDF: 82KB/3 pages)
Discussion of the role of hospitals in procuring personal protective gear, along with specific recommendations for gear that can meet various needs.
- Sample Medical/Surgical and PPE Supplies by Disaster Type & Category of Hospital Emergency Services (PDF: 114KB/6 pages)
Supplies that might be needed for different levels of hospitals and type of emergencies.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Infection Control
Primer about PPE, including what it includes, when it should be used in a healthcare setting, how to get it, and how to wear it.
- Protective Equipment for Healthcare Facility Decontamination Personnel: Regulations, Risks, and Recommendations (PDF: 121KB/12 pages)
Core issues related to the selection of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare facility decontamination personnel, with an emphasis on respiratory protection.
- Establishing and Training Healthcare Facility Decontamination Teams (PDF: 122KB/14 pages)
This paper reviews Occupational Health and Safety Administration training requirements for personnel involved with decontamination responses, as well as issues of team selection and training.
- Bioterrorism Information for Health Professionals
Slideshows and posters about specific bioterrorism agents, as well as overviews of the topic, aimed at healthcare professionals.