Behavioral Health and Emergency Preparedness
A range of mental health and chemical abuse (behavioral health) problems may surface in the early stages of an emergency situation. These may continue to emerge among the public and among professionals who respond to an event. Addressing these concerns improves the emergency response and the health of the whole community.
- Psychological First Aid (PFA)
Helping people to reduce stress symptoms and assist in a healthy recovery following a traumatic event, natural disaster, public health emergency, or even a personal crisis.
Minnesota Psychological First Aid Just-In-Time (Video: 11 minutes)
Video collaboration between MDH and the City of Minneapolis media department.
- Psychological First Aid: A Minnesota Community Support Model
Free 45-minute online training. Scroll through the list to find this course, then follow the instructions to register.
- Psychological First Aid (PowerPoint: 2.6MB/44 slides) (PDF: 1.5MB/44 pages)
PowerPoint presentation by Nancy Carlson.
- Psychological First Aid (PFA) Tutorial
Mobile app and website from the University of Minnesota.
- Psychological First Aid, a Community Support Model: Responding to Pandemic Influenza (PPT: 2.4MB/38 slides) (PDF: 1.8MB/38 pages)
Special psychosocial needs of a pandemic influenza, how to utilize PFA principles to respond to those needs, and how to increase workforce, individual, and community resilience. Updated August, 2009
- Psychological First Aid: Responding To A Pandemic Influenza: Pre - Post Test
Test your knowledge of psychological first aid.
- Pandemic Influenza Behavioral Health TIPS
Tip sheet with common reactions to pandemic influenza.
- Psychological First Aid (PFA) During and After a Pandemic Influenza
Typical reactions to pandemic for various age groups.
- Behavioral Health Pandemic Preparedness Checklist
Checklist for agencies, human resources, staff, clients, communications, and influenza screening/surveillance.
- Pandemic Influenza: Continuity of Operations (COOP) Training for Behavioral Health Service Providers (PPT: 1.4MB/44 slides) (PDF: 463KB/44 pages)
H1N1 planning, including service planning, staffing plan, consumer/client care, and an action plan.
- Behavioral Health Care - Pandemic Influenza Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) Template (Word: 137KB/8 pages) (PDF: 204KB/8 pages)
Service planning, staffing plan, consumer/client care, and action plan.
- Managing Stress in a Public Health Emergency
Understand common stress reactions to increase your ability to cope during a public health emergency.
- Responder Self Care App
U of MN School of Public Health mobile app for those deployed to emergency response events, to maintain their own physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
- Responder Self Care: Caring For Yourself in the Face of Difficult Work
Tips to help responders recognize stress and care for themselves while working on a traumatic event.
- Psychological First Aid for First Responders
SAMHSA tips for emergency and disaster response workers. Non-MDH link
- Psychological First Aid: Helping Victims in the Immediate Aftermath of Disaster (PDF: 2 pages)
Fact sheet describing the concept of "psychological first aid" and explains how to administer it. Non-MDH link
- When Terrible Things Happen
Recognizing common reactions faced by survivors, and suggesting helpful and less helpful responses.
- Alcohol, Medication, And Drug Use After A Disaster
Helping people understand and manage their use of alcohol, prescription medications, or other drugs after a disaster.
- Coping with Your Emotions During Public Health Emergencies (PDF: 2 pages)
Brochure about helping a person cope with anxiety during a public health emergency. Non-MDH link
- Helping Families Deal With the Stress of Relocation After a Disaster (PDF: 9 pages)
ATSDR fact sheet to help family members of different ages deal with the stress of relocation. Non-MDH link
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline and Text to Talk line
Attention: Non-MDH link
- Talking to Children about Swine Flu (H1N1): A Parent Resource
Guidelines to help parents talk to children in an age-appropriate way about the H1N1 virus, appropriate hygiene, school closures, and more. Non-MDH link
- Helping Children After the Flood
Children react differently to a flood and its aftermath depending on their age, developmental level, and prior experiences.
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
NCTSN provides education and technical assistance for parents, schools, the media and behavioral health professionals who work with traumatic stress in children. Attention: Non-MDH link
- HHS Disaster Behavioral Health Concept of Operations (PDF: 48 pages)
Attention: Non-MDH link
- Executive Summary: Mental Health and Behavioral Guidelines for Response to a Pandemic Flu Outbreak
The Center for Traumatic Stress summarizes what is known about mental health impacts of disease outbreaks. Non-MDH link
- Mental Health & Emergency Preparedness Strategies & Organizational Roles (PDF: 141KB/16 page)
Grid showing the role of each state agency during an emergency.
- MN Behavioral Health Medical Reserve Corp
Statewide group of volunteer behavioral health specialists.
- Behavioral Health & Emergency Preparedness Fact Sheet (PDF: 52KB/1 page)
Fact sheet discusses possible behavioral health problems that may arise during an emergency event.
- American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress
The Academy works to advance interventions for survivors of trauma. They offer publications, discussion forums, and members-only resources. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Psychological and Emotional Effects of the September 11 Attacks on the World Trade Center
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Attention: Non-MDH link
- Suicide Prevention Program
Behavioral health resource links from Minnesota, national, international and educational sources.
- DRAT! (Disaster Readiness Actions for Teens)
Fact sheet about the youth emergency preparedness training program.
- DRAT! (Powerpoint 9.5MB/41 slides) (PDF: 3MB/41 pages)
Powerpoint presentation of the DRAT! program.
- Psychological First Aid - Teen Version (Powerpoint: 7.4MB/31 slides) (PDF: 2.5MB/30 pages)
Powerpoint presentation of psychological first aid, targeted to teens.
- DRAT! Kit Supply List (PDF: 205KB/1 page)
List of supplies in the purple DRAT! backpack.
- DRAT! Jeopardy Game (Powerpoint: 1.6MB/35 slides)
Show the powerpoint to play the game.