Minnesota Rulemaking Manual and Seminar
A Manual for the Practitioner
The Minnesota Rulemaking Manual reflects the collective wisdom and experience of the State's rule writing community. It was first issued on June 17, 1996, and has been revised annually ever since. Revisions have been based on suggestions and corrections found during previous years of its use and recent legislative activity.
19th Annual Minnesota Rulemaking Seminar - Check back for materials in September.
18th Annual Minnesota Rulemaking Seminar - Thursday, September 26, 2013
2013 Minnesota Rulemaking Manual
- 2013 Manual (PDF: 2.7MB/360 Pages)
A reference book for drafting state agency administrative rules in Minnesota.
- 2013 Manual - Chapters and Forms
Word files of chapters and forms.
Presentations and handouts
Tammy Pust, Chief Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings
- Oh The Places You’ll Go (No handout)
Eric Lipman, Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings
Patricia Winget, Minnesota Department of Health
Maryann Corbett, Revisor's Office
- Setting Out – Working with the Revisor’s Office (PDF: 271KB/5 pages)
- Hidden Hazards I: Ambiguity (PDF: 495KB/12 pages)
- Hidden Hazards II: Vagueness and Problem Phrases (PDF: 234KB/6 pages)
David Schultz, Hamline University School of Business
Sue Berg, Minnesota Department of Commerce
Laura Roads, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Rulemaking Travel Bingo (No handout)
Kerstin Forsythe Hahn, Minnesota Department of Education
Suzanne Todnem, Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry
- Overview of Minnesota Formal Rulemaking Process (PDF: 201KB/1 page
- Rulemaking Milemarkers (PDF: 1MB/8 pages)
- Project Management for Rulemakers (PDF: 71KB/1 page)
Paul Marinac, Revisor’s Office
- Which Way to MARSS?? Update on the Minnesota Administrative Rules Status System (No handout)