Laws, Policy and Legislation
From Title IX, which mandates schools to work against a discriminating environment affecting educational outcomes--a law which now explicitly includes sexual violence in its scope--to the Clery Act, which requires reporting of violent crimes on campus, universities have many ongoing obligations to fulfill.Please read content disclaimer
- Know Your Rights: Title IX Prohibits Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Where You Go to School Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. This resource from the Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, details schools' responsibilities for addressing sexual violence and sexual harassment.
- The Handbook for Campus Crime Reporting, US Department of Education This handbook was designed to assist in meeting the regulatory requirements of the Clery Act by guiding you through the regulations and explaining what they mean and what they require your institution to do.
- Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA) ATIXA provides a professional association for school and college Title IX Coordinators and administrators who are interested in serving their districts and campuses more effectively.
- Summary of the Jeanne Clery Act Explains in plain language the contents and requirements of the federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about campus crime and security policies.
- Title IX Dear Colleague Letter This letter from the US Department of Education is intended to outline schools' responsibilities in prevention of and response to sexual violence on campuses for administrators.
- Student Guide to the Clery Act Frequently asked questions about the important--and misunderstood--federal campus crime reporting law.
- Understanding the Laws The Center for Public Integrity gives an overview of the three laws that have had a dramatic effect on the way sexual assault claims are adjudicated on America's campuses.
- National Center for Higher Education Risk Management NCHERM is a think tank of twenty-one consultants with the goal of identifying, developing and delivering best practices for school and campus health and safety.
- The Spectrum of Prevention The Spectrum of Prevention helps expand prevention efforts beyond education models by promoting a multifaceted range of activities for effective prevention. Includes: Influencing Policy and Legislation,, Changing Organizational Practices, Fostering Coalitions and Networks, Educating Providers, Promoting Community Education, and Strengthening Individual Knowledge and Skills.
- MNSCU Legal Webinar Series One hour legal seminars available to campus administrators, faculty and staff at no charge. Includes "Responding to Sexual Violence" and "Campus Security Act Compliance Check Up."
- Know your IX Under Title IX and the Clery Act, you as a student have certain rights that your campus is supposed to meet. Learn what those rights are and what sexual violence survivors and others can do to advocate for their rights on campus.
- Beyond Title IX Provides guidance to colleges and universities on how best to create and promote a campus norm of interpersonal respect and non-violent relationships.
- ATIXA 2015 Whitepaper The Challenge of Title IX Responses to Campus Relationship and Intimate Partner Violence. A Whitepaper published in 2015 by ATIXA.
Top of Page