Prevention on college campuses will be specific to the culture and practices of each campuses. In general, however, sexual violence prevention on campuses will be:
- Green Dot Bystander Intervention Strategy The Green Dot strategy is a comprehensive approach to violence prevention that capitalizes on the power of peer and cultural influence across all levels of the socio-ecological model. Bring it to your campus!
- Resources for Colleges and Universities, PreventConnect Wiki Includes: curricula, articles, highlighted programs,syllibi on violence prevention,and sample college sexual assault websites and policies. Be sure to scroll all the way down!
- A Safer Campus: A Guidebook for Prevention and Response to Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence and Stalking This guidebook from the Ohio Department of Health identifies key best practices to prevent and respond to sexual and intimate partner violence and stalking on campuses.
- Rape and Sexual Assault Prevention Campus and community constituencies can work together to create long-standing, comprehensive programs to prevent and mitigate campus sexual assault. Explore these resources from US DOE's Higher Education Center for Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Violence Prevention.
- Acquaintance Rape of College Students: Problem-Oriented Guide for Police (PDF: 68 pages/180KB) This guide from the US DoJ Office of Community Oriented Policing Services describes campus sexual assault so that police and campus public safety officers can more effectively prevent and respond to the problem.
- Title IX Dear Colleague Letter This letter from the US Department of Education is intended to outline schools' responsibilities in prevention of and response to sexual violence on campuses for administrators.
- MDH Sexual Violence Prevention Network The Sexual Violence Prevention Network (SVPN) is a network of people interested in or working in the field of sexual violence prevention. Anyone is welcome to join our mailing list or attend SVPN meetings.
- Using Student Orientation to Prevent Violence Against Women Cost-effective examples of new student orientation as an entry point to a linked series of prevention efforts addressing violence across the school year and throughout the college experience.
- Principles of Prevention, Centers for Disease Control POP is free, for everyone interested in learning about violence prevention, the burden violence places on our society, and effective prevention efforts.
- Shifting the Paradigm: Primary Prevention of Sexual Violence, American College Health Assn. ACHA developed this toolkit to provide facts, ideas, strategies, conversation starters, and resources to everyone on campus who cares about preventing sexual violence.
- The Consensual Project Brings students a fresh understanding of consent. The innovative curriculum, workshops, and website empower young people to incorporate consent into their daily lives.
- Engaging Bystanders in Sexual Violence Prevention This free online course covers the basic content of the above handbook. Explores how to encourage friends and family to deter and possibly prevent sexual violence.
- Sexual Assault on Campus: What Colleges and Universities are Doing About it This Department of Justice report shows that college women are at higher risk for sexual assault than their non-college-bound peers. It provides a comprehensive benchmark of sexual assault policy on US campuses.
- Sexual Violence Prevention: Beginning the Dialogue This document from the CDC is intented to begin the dialogue about what it means to 'move upstream' for prevention, with concepts and strategies that may be used as a foundation for prevention.
- Students Active for Ending Rape (SAFER) SAFER empowers students to hold their universities accountable for having strong campus sexual assault policies and programming. Join to access resources.
- Case Studies and Model Programs in Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Violence Prevention Over the course of several years, the Higher Education Center has collected information on a variety of AODV prevention programs at institutions of higher education around the U.S.
- learn@PreventConnect PreventConnect welcomes you to this set of free courses and trainings, designed to grow and support a national community of practice for the prevention of sexual and domestic violence.
- The Spectrum of Prevention The Spectrum of Prevention helps expand prevention efforts beyond education models by promoting a multifaceted range of activities for effective prevention. Includes: Influencing Policy and Legislation,, Changing Organizational Practices, Fostering Coalitions and Networks, Educating Providers, Promoting Community Education, and Strengthening Individual Knowledge and Skills.
- Preventing Violence and Promoting Safety in Higher Education Settings: Overview of a Comprehensive Approach Community-based prevention research points to a set of best practices to guide the development, implementation, and evaluation of interventions to improve campus health and safety.
- Sexual Violence Prevention and People with Disabilities How do we meaningfully work within that community? What are some successful approaches? What knowledge do we need to begin or enrich a project?
- The Ecological Model of Health Behavior This issue of Partners in Social Change explores the ecological model of health behavior. As the word 'ecological' implies, this structural model explores the relationship between human behavior and the environment.
- The Social Ecological Model The social-ecological model provides a framework for understanding those different influences of perpetrating sexual assault.
- St. Cloud State University Women's Center St. Cloud State University's Women's Center and Gender Violence Resources Office offer services for victims of sexual assault, individual support, advocacy information and referral, support groups etc.
- Minnesota State University at Mankato Women's Center Minnesota State University at Mankato Women's Center offers information about violence prevention, stalking, and other resources.
- Moving Beyond Blue Lights and Buddy Systems: A National Study of Student Anti-Rape Activists This study done by Students Active For Ending Rape (SAFER) surveys college students working to address campus sexual violence. SAFER used an online survey to ask campus activists about their prevention activities and beliefs about ending sexual violence on campus.
- Beyond Title IX Provides guidance to colleges and universities on how best to create and promote a campus norm of interpersonal respect and non-violent relationships.
Top of Page