Registration Process: Patients
Find out if you have a qualifying condition, how to get certified, how to register, and how to get the medical cannabis.
1. Contact Health Care Practitioner
Start the process by contacting your health care practitioner who has responsibility for your care connected to your qualifying condition.
- Qualifying Condition for Medical Cannabis
You must have one of these conditions, and be a Minnesota resident, in order to be certified for medical cannabis.
- Health Care Practitioners for Medical Cannabis
Check to be sure that your health care practitioner is able to certify you for the program.
- Email address
Give your practitioner an email address appropriate for medical cannabis communications. You may not want to choose an email that others can access or that belongs to your employer. Please fill, sign and bring the Patient E-mail and Acknowledgement Form (PDF: 94KB/2 pages) to your health care practitioner.
- Request a Visit Summary, with all your current medications and medical conditions. This will be helpful for the pharmacist at the cannabis patient center.
2. Wait for Health Care Practitioner Certification
When your practitioner has certified that you have a qualifying condition, you will receive an email (using the address you gave your provider) from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
The email will contain the link you need in order to register online and an important information sheet you should review before completing registration.
3. Register Online
- In order to register, you will need:
- Link in the email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
- Your name, address and phone number.
- Government-issued ID: state ID, driver's license, or passport (scan or photo from phone).
- Government assistance plan ID: SSI, Social Security Disability, Medical Assistance, CHAMPVA or Medicaid ID (scan or photo from phone).
- Credit card to pay Annual Registration Fee via USBank website.
- You will receive an email when your account has been approved.
- You will need to complete the patient self-evaluation report in your account in the registry.
- Complete the patient self-evaluation report to expedite your visit to the cannabis patient center.
4. Visit Cannabis Patient Center
You, your parent, legal guardian or caregiver must visit the cannabis patient center, where a pharmacist will review your account, and recommend specific dosage and type. Payment will be made at that time, to the cannabis patient center.
- Cannabis Patient Center Locations
Check this map for locations and hours.
5. Fill out Patient Self-evaluation Form
Before returning for more medical cannabis you must login to the registry and fill out the patient self-evaluation form. This must be done each time you need more medical cannabis.