Skin-Lightening Products Found to Contain Mercury
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is warning state residents to stop using some types of skin lightening products, after testing revealed that they may contain dangerous levels of mercury.
The implicated products were sold as skin-lightening agents, although they may also be used as skin-smoothing products.
Alerts and fact sheets
- FDA issues warning on skin-lightening products containing mercury
- Stop using skin lightening products containing mercury
(includes translated materials in Hmong, Somali and Spanish)
- Fact sheet for the general public: Skin lightening products can cause health problems
- Fact sheet for health care providers: Mercury poisoning from skin lightening products
- Skin-Lightening Products Found to Contain Mercury (PDF)
(Document contains images of tested products.)