Who is WIC for?
Other WIC Eligibility Requirements
Minnesota WIC Program
Who can participate in WIC?
- Pregnant Women
- Breastfeeding women who have had a baby within the past year
- Women who have had a baby within the past six months
- Women who have been pregnant within the past six months
Infants from birth to 1 year of age
Children from 1 year of age to their 5th birthday
Who can apply for the WIC Program?
- Pregnant women
- Mothers and fathers with an infant or child under the age of 5
- Foster parent(s) or guardian(s) with an infant or child under age 5
What are the additional eligibility requirements for the WIC Program?
You must live in Minnesota
- Each state provides WIC benefits to its residents
- You will usually receive WIC services in the county where you live
- You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to be on WIC
You must have a medical or nutrition need.
- A "medical need" means that you or your child has health-based risks such as high or low weight, anemia, or a history of having low birth weight or premature babies.
- A "nutrition need" means that you or your child may have poor eating habits, lack variety in the foods eaten daily, or are not eating enough of certain nutrients (like calcium, iron or protein).
- Medical or nutrition needs will be assessed by a qualified health professional at your WIC appointment.