Resources for Providers
Talking to Teens
These are general resource materials for providers.
- Neinstein, L. S. (2002). Adolescent health care: A practical guide (4th Ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Williams and Wilkins.
- The Provider's Guide to Quality and Culture - Cultural Groups. Provides health care professionals with expanded information for nine different cultural groups. For each group, information is provided about its Strengths and Protective Factors, Challenges to Health and Well-Being, and Principles for Culturally Competent Health Services. Each section also has References and Links for each group.
- Hatcher, R. A., Trussell, J., Stewart, F., Cates, W., Stewart, G. K., Guest, F., & Kowal, D. Contraceptive technology (18th Rev. Ed.).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Related Web Sites
- Child & Teen Checkups (C&TC). The Child and Teen Checkups program is Minnesota's Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment (EPSDT) program. It is a preventive health care program for children under 21 years of age who are enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare. This webpage contains training information and documentation forms for health care providers, the recommended screening schedule, and information about the various recommeded components of a comprehensive exam including hearing and vision screening, lab tests, and the physical exam.
- Hennepin County Medical Center: Consent and Confidentiality: Providing Medical and Mental Health Care to Minors in Minnesota. Legal Guidelines for Professions. This document provides a brief review of the laws that guide the provision of health care to minors in the state of Minnesota. It is intended to encourage providers to become knowledgeable about the legal parameters of minor consent, discuss the legal parameters of confidentiality as they pertain to the care of minors, and differentiate between the mandated reporting of sexual abuse and the voluntary reporting of sexual abuse.
- Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) publications. Minnesota pre-participation sports physical and wrestling certification forms. (Note: At this web site, you will have to click on "Forms and Brochures," scroll through the alphabetical list and then click on a specific document.)
- Minnesota Organization on Adolescent Pregnancy, Prevention and Parenting (MOAPPP). MOAPPP's mission is to strengthen policies and programs related to adolescent pregnancy, prevention and parenting in Minnesota. The site boasts a comprehensive clearinghouse of information and resources on teen pregnancy prevention and parenting, including an InfoExchange, New Resources and Information, Statistics, Fact Sheets, and a Sexuality Education Survey.
- The Konopka Institute for Best Practices in Adolescent Health was established as a special initiative by the Schools of Medicine‚ Nursing, and Public Health in the Academic Health Center of the University of Minnesota.
- Children's Hospitals and Clinics Adolescent Tip Cards (http://www.childrenshc.org)
University of Minnesota Extension Service
- Positive Parenting. This video-based parenting education curriculum, which focuses on disciplining and nurturing children by means other than physical punishment, was developed by the Universities of Minnesota and Wisconsin. Positive Parenting of Teens is devoted specifically to raising adolescents.
- Just in Time Research: Children, Youth & Families. (1999). These materials (including one entitled Minor Consent and Confidentiality and Adolescent Health in Minnesota) were developed by the University of Minnesota Extension Service in partnership with the University's Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.
- The Society for Adolescent Medicine. This multidisciplinary organization of professionals is committed to improving the physical and psychosocial health and well-being of all adolescents.
- American Medical Association Adolescent Health On-Line. This AMA page includes health information for adolescents and their parents, Guidelines for Adolescent Preventive Services (GAPS), and other materials concerning adolescent health.
- ETR Associates. This site has patient education materials.
- ReCAPP. The Resource Center for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention contains information related to teen pregnancy prevention.
Minnesota Health Improvement Partnership Adolescent Health Services Action Team in partnership with the Minnesota Department of Health, Updated 2006