Radon in Schools
Radon Testing Plan
According to Minnesota Statute 123B.571, school districts that receive health and safety revenue to conduct radon testing must conduct the testing according to this ‘Radon Testing Plan'.
- If short term testing is chosen, conduct testing on school days only (not holidays, vacations or weekends), between November 1 and March 31
- If long term testing is chosen, conduct testing in a manner where at least half the test duration includes days between November 1 and March 31
- Use certified radon testing devices, as listed by either the:
- Test all frequently-occupied rooms, including rooms with ground contact and rooms immediately above unoccupied spaces that are in contact with the ground, such as crawl spaces and tunnels.
- Conduct follow-up testing in all frequently-occupied rooms that have radon ≥ 4 pCi/L
- Mitigate or take corrective measures in frequently-occupied rooms that have radon ≥ 4 pCi/L following ANSI/AARST ‘Radon Mitigation Standards for Schools and Large Buildings’ (ANSI/AARST RMS-LB)
- Re-test after corrective measures to show radon reduction
- Report all radon test results to MDH on the ‘School Radon Testing Reporting Form’ at the conclusion of the testing project (after all follow-up testing and any corrective measures have been shown to reduce radon levels).
- Report radon test results at a school board meeting.