Health Equity Leadership Network (HELN)
Our mission at the Center for Health Equity is to connect, strengthen, and amplify health equity efforts within MDH and across the state of Minnesota. We believe that leadership comes from within and across communities and that we are stronger when we bridge differences and unite around commonalities. One of the ways we are living our mission is by convening the Minnesota Health Equity Leadership Network (HELN). HELN brings together health equity leaders, organizations and institutions from across the state and across sectors to strategize, share best practices and identify common goals to advance health equity in Minnesota.
In summer 2018, in partnership with the Bush Foundation and bushCONNECT, we brought together 25 leaders from across the state as the first cohort of HELN. These individuals helped co-create and launch the network. We convened in person in August 2018, again at bushCONNECT in October 2018, and have been meeting virtually and in person monthly since then to build out the network.
For updates on HELN activities, subscribe to our health equity email updates.
- Abdullahi Sheikh, Somali Human Rights Commission, Minneapolis
- Anita Buel, Commission of the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing, Saint Paul
- Emory Dively, Commission of the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing, Saint Paul
- Jacki Trelawny, Family Tree Clinic, Saint Paul
- Janelle Lambert, Minnesota Department of Health, Duluth
- Joseph Bianco, Essentia Health, Ely
- Julia Davis, Independent, Minneapolis
- Karen Crabtree, Essentia Health, Detroit Lakes
- Luisa Trapero, Convivencia Hispana/St. James independent School District #840, St. James
- Maret Banks, Women of Nations, Saint Paul
- Maria Veronica Svetaz, Hennepin Healthcare, Whittier Clinic, Minneapolis
- Matt Hanson, Bemidji State University, Cass Lake
- Melissa Stanton, Health Access MN, Rochester
- Nasra Giama, University of Minnesota, Rochester
- Patrick Tschida, Walden University, Minneapolis
- Princess Awa-ada Kisob, The Hills Youth and Family Services - Neighborhood Youth Services, Duluth
- Rachel Hardeman, Division of Health Policy & Management, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis
- Raquelle Gant, JustUs Health, Saint Paul
- Rebeka Ndosi, People's Movement Center, Minneapolis
- Rosa Tock, Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs, Saint Paul
- Rosemarie Rodriguez-Hager, Minnesota Department of Health, Saint Paul
- Stephen Nelson, Children's-Minnesota, Minneapolis
- TruongChinh Duong, Building Movement Project, Saint Paul
On March 26, 2019, CHE hosted the inaugural Health Equity Summit in partnership with HELN and the 2016-2019 cohort of Eliminating Health Disparities Initiative (EHDI) grantees. The summit brought together 220 leaders from across sectors, geographies, communities and experiences. The theme of the summit was: “Strengthening the Web: Building Our Networks to Activate Health Equity”.
Co-sponsors included the Blue Cross Blue Shield Center for Prevention; the Minnesota Department of Human Services; the University of Minnesota Program in Health Disparities Research; and the Catalyst Initiative at the Minneapolis Foundation.
The goals of the summit were to:
- Connect - Build connections to others advancing health equity in Minnesota
- Strengthen – Begin mapping connections and gaps in who is doing what throughout the state
- Amplify - Leverage collective power to think differently about what is needed and what is possible to advance health equity in our state
Check out the 2019 Health Equity Summit Overview to learn more about the summit and read the notes from participant discussions throughout the day.
Information about the 2020 Health Equity Summit coming soon!
Interested in joining the Health Equity Leadership Network?
Apply online to be part of our virtual community on Mobilize. Through Mobilize updates, you'll be invited to take part in online and in-person gatherings to connect, share ideas and build collective action.
To join, submit a brief application through the Health Equity Leadership Network community application page.