Webinars by topic, from the Center for Public Health Practice
Looking for a recent PHP webinar or training session?
Try viewing trainings by date.
- Data resources 101: This webinar acquaints local public health with some of the data resources available on the MDH website, and connects local public health with staff at MDH who can provide assistance with data. June 2018.
- Writing meaningful goals and SMART objectives: This webinar can help you write goals and objectives for any internal or external plan. July 2022.
- Quality improvement plans: A how-to guide: What is a QI plan? Why is it important? Learn the answer to these questions and more from this presentation. December 2013.
- Pivoting to the Future: Opportunity, complexity, and working together (2:08:10) This virtual event took place in lieu of the Community Health Conference. Participants discussed caring for and pacing ourselves during this time of recovery; understanding the importance of shared work; tools for thinking about the future; and how to navigate the changes ahead. September 2021.
- Public Health Wheel: Intervention update (30:29): Presenters review new and unchanged content in Public health interventions: Applications for nursing practice, 2nd ed. ("The Wheel Manual"). You also can apply Wheel interventions to considering how PHNs respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. November 2020.
- Approaches to vaccine hesitancy: This webinar describes the nature of vaccine hesitancy, discusses the approaches you can use to address vaccine hesitancy, and reviews reliable resources. September 2017.
- Ethics and decision-making in public health: Public health ethics is an evolving practice, and is also contained in the Public Health Accreditation Board Standards and Measures. This introduction to public health ethics is suitable for an ethics committee or an entire public health department. This webinar covers material from a public health ethics training hosted by Dakota County Public Health and presented by an epidemiologist and public health ethicist. June 2016.
Records retention series: These webinars are part of a series for local public health staff to become familiar with the basics of records management, retention schedules, and proper destruction of records:
1. Records and Information Management (17:35)
2. Records Retention Schedule (18:20)
3. Preserving and Disposing of Government Records (19:57)
4. Essential Records (18:30)
For a list of webinars produced by nationwide organizations and curated by staff from the Center for Public Health Practice, visit: Resource Library for Advancing Health Equity in Public Health: Webinars/courses.
QI/performance management webinars from the MDH Center for Public Health Practice:
- Quality improvement storyboard quick guide video (15:07): This video introduces the concept of a QI storyboard, describes how you can use it for project management and communications, and helps you create your own QI storyboard. December 2019.
- Introduction to performance management: This webinar will teach participants to summarize the components of performance management, identify examples of performance management components, and apply performance management to a public health service, program, or process. June 2016.
- Quality improvement plans: A how-to guide (41:49): What is a QI plan? Why is it important? Learn the answer to these questions and more from this presentation. December 2013.
- Performance management: Improving the improvement (1:01:09): This Public Health Foundation webinar provides information on continuously improving a performance management system. The webinar includes presentations from two local health departments on their experience building, maintaining, and improving their performance management systems. April 2016.
- The basics of quality improvement for public health practitioners (1:00:00): This tutorial from the University at Albany School of Public Health provides the basics of quality improvement and how it fits into the performance management framework. May 2013.
- Designing and implementing a QI plan (PDF): These webinar slides from the National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) can help you understand quality plans, processes, and activities.
Other recommended webinars on QI and performance management:
- Local Public Health Act annual reporting: Finance and staffing (22:03): In this session, presenters provide an overview of LPH Act annual reporting, discussing changes for the 2020 calendar year. There's also a recorded question and answer session with participants. March 2021.
You might also like trainings from the Region V Public Health Training Center. Visit Region V and click on "training" to access sessions filtered by modality, foundational service, strategic skill domain, core competency, professional tier, and more. Region V is located at the University of Michigan School of Public Health and serves as the central coordinating office for the region which includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. MDH is a community-based training partner of Region V.
Need technical assistance?
The MDH Center for Public Health Practice can help: Help and Technical Assistance Available to Local and Tribal Public Health.