Asthma Friendly Schools Mini-Grant Program
E: Linking Schools and Health Care Providers
Enhance communication and collaboration between schools, clinics, hospitals and public health. Choose one or more of the following projects.
- Develop and implement a process to connect the school health office and health care providers to create communication pathways, to obtain medication administration documentation, asthma action plans and other documentation to support students who have asthma.
- Using the School Health Practices Worksheet, review the school and/or district policies to assess current practices for asthma management and identify any gaps or opportunities for improvement. Draft or revise policies or practices to address gaps and present for adoption as appropriate.
- A variety of data collection forms, letter templates, and authorization forms that can be customized for use in your school or district are available at Asthma Friendly School Resources: – Tools and Forms.
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) resources for asthma management in schools
Resources available here include the Asthma Quick Care Reference, Managing Asthma: A Guide for Schools, and Asthma and Physical Activity in the School.
- More information about school health policies is available at Asthma Friendly School Resources.