Businesses and Employers: COVID-19 Preparedness Plan Overview
All Minnesota businesses must establish and implement a COVID-19 Preparedness Plan per MN: Emergency Executive Order 20-74 (PDF). There is considerable risk of spreading COVID-19 when groups of people gather in any setting. The goal of preparedness plans is to ensure preventive measures to slow the spread are in place to protect workers, staff, volunteers, patrons, and participants.
This is an overview of the COVID-19 Preparedness Plans and provides a quick reference for management, staff, board members, councils, and others involved in developing and implementing the plan. It is not a substitute for the more comprehensive preparedness plan requirements.
- Stay Safe MN
Detailed recommendations and requirements for specific industries, businesses, organizations, and activities.
- COVID-19 Preparedness Plan Template and Instructions
A template with instructions for the plan.
- Designate one person from your leadership team or staff to be the “Plan Administrator” to prepare, evaluate, monitor, execute, and update the plan.
- The plan must be posted onsite in an easily accessible location so all leadership, staff, and volunteers can easily review it.
- Ensure that all activities held in your building(s) follow your practices and protocols.
The plan must include the following:
- Policies and procedures that help to identify sick workers and ensure sick workers stay home.
- Protocols for flow of activity to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet between people.
- Staff/worker hygiene procedures and source controls, including face coverings where and when required.
- Building and ventilation protocols.
- Cleaning and disinfecting protocols for work and gathering spaces.
- Safe practices and protocols for drop-off, pick-up, and deliveries.
- Communications and training practices and protocols for all staff.
More information about preparedness plans
- COVID-19 Preparedness Plans do not need to be submitted to the state for approval.
- More information is available in DLI: Frequently Asked Questions about Preparedness Plans (PDF)
- If you have questions related to developing a COVID-19 Preparedness Plan, contact MNOSHA Workplace Safety Consultation for assistance at 651-284-5060, 800-657-3776 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IDEPC Comment Form
Use this form to contact the Minnesota Department of Health for questions or comments about health related issues or this web page.
- Contact the State of Minnesota
Use this contact form for questions or comments related to businesses and employment or other non-health related issues.