Vaping-Associated Lung Injuries: Information for Health Professionals
MDH is working with health care providers to investigate reports of severe lung injury potentially linked to vaping.
Health care providers:
- Ask patients who present with pulmonary symptoms about vaping.
- When treating patients with pulmonary symptoms who report a history of vaping, consider consultation with a pulmonologist and conduct a thorough infectious disease evaluation.
- Report suspected cases to MDH as soon as possible by one of these methods:
- Hold earliest clinical specimens (blood, urine, bronchoalveolar lavage) for submission to the Minnesota Department of Health Public Health Laboratory.
- Let patients know that MDH will be interested in speaking with them and collecting products to test for chemicals that may be involved in this national outbreak.
Health Alert Network Advisories
- Severe lung injury associated with vaping algorithm (PDF)
- Device and Substance Visual Dictionary: Severe Pulmonary Disease with E-cigarette Use (PDF)
- Pulmonary Illness Related to E-Cigarette Use in Illinois and Wisconsin — Preliminary Report (New England Journal of Medicine)
- Outbreak of Electronic-Cigarette–Associated Acute Lipoid Pneumonia — North Carolina, July–August 2019
- Severe Pulmonary Disease Associated with Electronic-Cigarette–Product Use — Interim Guidance