Vaccines for the International Traveler - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Vaccines for the International Traveler

Traveling outside the United States? Plan ahead for your travel shots.

Download PDF version formatted for print:
Plan ahead for your international travel shots (PDF)

Where can I get information on international travel shots?

The Minnesota Department of Health does not provide international travel health consultation or international travel shots.

Information on international travel shots and other travel health issues including disease and concerns about food and water supplies is available by country on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel website.

How soon before I travel do I need to get vaccinated?

Start planning now. Some vaccines take up to six months for the entire series.

What vaccines will I need?

The international travel vaccines you need depend on your travel destination, age, current medical condition, occupation and lifestyle.

Where do I go to get international travel shots?

It depends. If you are going to Europe, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Australia, or New Zealand, your health care provider should be able to give you the shots you need.

If you are going to any other country than those just listed, an international travel health clinic is your best resource.

Here's a list of international travel health clinics in Minnesota.

Do I need yellow fever vaccine?

If you are going to Africa, Central America, or South America, you may need yellow fever vaccine or other vaccines your health care provider might not have. International travel health clinics are the only places that can give yellow fever vaccine.

There is currently a shortage of yellow fever vaccine. People needing yellow fever vaccine should call the clinic to check on availability. You can also use CDC's Search for Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinics.

Are your routine immunizations up to date?

Don't just get your international travel shots! It’s a good idea for adults and children to be up to date with routine vaccines before they leave the country. If you are not sure if you or your children are up to date with routine shots, call your health care provider. More information is also available on our Immunization website.

Related information

  • State Department's Travel website includes travel warnings, information on how to get visas and passports, and a wealth of other international travel tips.
Updated Friday, 03-Apr-2020 08:43:39 CDT