Instructions for Courts after an Adoption
Requesting a replacement birth record after adoption
- Use the updated Certificate of Adoption (PDF) form. The updated form shows 10/2019 in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
- Complete the Certificate of Adoption.
- Provide all of the requested information.
- Verify the information about the adoptive parents in the Information for New Birth Record After Adoption in section 1.
- Verify the Information from the Birth Record before Adoption in section 3. The information in section 3 must match the information from the birth record before the adoption exactly. If the information does not match, the Office of Vital Records will return the Certificate of Adoption to the court.
- Collect $40. The fee to register a replacement birth record or to create a birth record after a foreign adoption is $40. The Office of Vital Records will not process Certificates of Adoption without payment of this fee.
- The attorney or adoptive parents may order a birth certificate that shows the child’s information after the adoption. To order a certificate, complete the Application for Birth Certificate after Adoption (PDF).
- Mail the Certificate of Adoption (not the adoption order or decree), the Application for Birth Certificate after Adoption and associated fees ($40 to process the adoption and $26 for the birth certificate) to the mailing address on the forms, or listed to the right.
For more information about birth records after an adoption contact the Office of Vital records at 651-201-5970, or email@example.com.