Confidential Birth Records
The birth record of a child born to unmarried parents is confidential, unless at the time of birth, the mother designates the demographic data as public.
Confidential birth records are available only to:
- the subject of the birth record if the individual has reached the age of 16;
- a parent named on the birth record;
- a legal guardian presenting a certified copy of guardianship papers;
- an individual presenting a certified copy of a court order releasing the record to him/her, or;
- Representatives of Minnesota programs that administer child support, medical assistance, MinnesotaCare, and services under Minnesota Statutes, sections 124D.23 and 626.556, and, tribal child support programs, Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 2, paragraph (f).
Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 2.