Confidential Birth Records
The birth record of a child born to unmarried parents is confidential. However, at the time of birth, the mother may designate the demographic data as public.
Confidential birth records are available only to:
- The subject of the birth record if the individual has reached the age of 16;
- A parent named on the birth record;
- A legal guardian presenting a certified copy of guardianship papers;
- An individual presenting a certified copy of a court order releasing the record to him/her, or;
- Representatives of Minnesota programs that administer child support, medical assistance, MinnesotaCare, and services under Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.23; Minnesota Statutes, chapter 260E; and, tribal child support programs, Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 2, paragraph (f).
How are we doing?
Minnesota Statutes, section 144.225, subdivision 2.