Buying Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
Minnesota WIC Program
How to Buy Fresh Fruits & Vegetables when Sold by the Pound
- Select a fruit or vegetable that is priced by the pound.
- Place the item on the grocery scale.
- Round the weight up to the nearest pound or half pound.
- Estimate the cost of the item based on the chart.
Example: Buying Fruits and Vegetables with $8 Benefit
If you had an $8 benefit for fruits and vegetables, you could purchase:
- 2 lbs. Bananas @ $0.59 per pound = $1.18
- 1 lb. Tomatoes @ $1.49 per pound = $1.49
- 2 lbs. Carrots @ $2.49 per package = $2.49
- 1 lb. of Red Grapes @ $3.19 per pound = $3.19
Total of all items would be just over the allowed amount at $8.35. However, you can pay the difference (in this instance, $0.35) between the amount of the benefit and the amount of the fruits/vegetables.