Disaster Mental and Behavioral Health and COVID-19
Mental health and behavioral health resources specific to COVID-19. Additional regular Disaster Mental/Behavioral Health resources may also apply.
- SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline and Text to Talk line
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Crisis Text Line: Text “MN” to 741741
- Adult mental health crisis response phone numbers
Minnesota Mobile Mental Health Crisis Line Call: **CRISIS (**274747).
For landlines, see the directory for mental health crisis phone numbers in Minnesota by county
- Caring for Yourself in the Face of Difficult Work (PDF)
- First Responder Toolkit- COVID-19 Version (Beta)
- Self-Care and applying Psychological First Aid for COVID-19 Responders (YouTube: 13:56 minutes)
Provides the healthcare responder with just-in-time training on responder stress during COVID-19, and provides stress management strategies that should be implemented now to protect the our healthcare workforce.
- Psychological First Aid: A Minnesota Community Supported Model
MDH-U of MN School of Public Health collaboration. Five video series, with available CEUs.
- Psychological First Aid Part 1: Introduction to Psychological First Aid (YouTube: 6 min)
- Psychological First Aid Part 2: The Impact of Trauma (YouTube: 6 min)
- Psychological First Aid Part 3: Principles of Psychological First Aid (YouTube: 4 min)
- Psychological First Aid Parts 4 & 5: Techniques and the "Dos" and "Dont's" of PFA (YouTube: 10 min)
- Psychological First Aid Part 6: Responder Self Care (3 min)
- COVID-19 Responder Self-Triage
Daily Responder Self Triage checklist provides a way to look at and assess your stress level over a week period.
- COVID-19 and Healthcare Responder Stress (PDF)
Healthcare responders are at higher than average risk for traumatic stress reactions because their work repeatedly exposes them to highly stressful situations.
- Self-Care Pocket Reference Guide for Emergency Response Deployment (PDF)
A guide for volunteer responders that includes pre- and post- deployment checklists and self-reflection activities. This resource was originally created for the University of Minnesota and the Minnesota Department of Health, and is now produced by Wisconsin Department of Health.
- Tips for Health Care Practitioners and Responders: HELPING SURVIVORS COPE WITH GRIEF AFTER A DISASTER OR TRAUMATIC EVENT (PDF)
- Walter Reed Army Institute of Research - COVID-19 Leadership Checklist: Mitigating Team Stress (PDF)
- Walter Reed Army Institute of Research – COVIS-19 iCOVER-Med: Rapid Peer-Based Management of Acute Stress in Medical Teams (PDF)
- Walter Reed Army Institute of Research – COVID-19 Sleep Checklist: Healthcare Workers and First Responders (PDF)
- Managing Patient and Family Distress Associated with COVID-19: Tips for Healthcare Workers in Hospitals and Alternate Care Settings (PDF)
- Mitigate Absenteeism by Protecting Healthcare Workers’ Psychological Health and Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
- Psychological Effects of Quarantine During the Coronavirus Outbreak: What Healthcare Providers Need to Know (PDF)
- Psychological Effects of Quarantine During the Coronavirus Outbreak: What Public Health Leaders Need to Know (PDF)
- SAMHSA Coronavirus Resources for Behavioral Health (mental health and substance abuse) Providers
- COVID-19 Mental Health Resource Hub
- Find Your Happy Place: Tips To Reduce COVID-19 Stress (PDF)
- Care for Your Coronavirus Anxiety
- Managing Stress and the Threat of COVID-19 (PDF)
Understand common stress reactions to increase your ability to cope during a public health emergency such as COVID-19.
- SAMHSA Behavioral Health Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation during an Infectious Disease Outbreak (PDF)
- Psychological First Aid & COVID-19: A Minnesota Community Support Model (PDF)
PowerPoint presentation about using Psychological First Aid for COVID-19.
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus
NPR education reporter Cory Turner's story about what kids want to know about coronavirus spurred creation of this comic.
- Trinka and Sam Fighting the Big Virus: Trinka, Sam and Littletown Work Together (PDF)
- Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope With the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Fact sheet
Provided by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network.
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource provided by the National Association of School Psychologists
- SAMHSA Talking With Children: Tips for Caregivers, Parents, and Teachers, During Infectious Disease Outbreaks (PDF)
- Support for People with Mental Illness Who Are Sick with COVID-19 (PDF)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) COVID-19 Information and Resources
- NHA: Living with Mental Illness during COVID-19 Outbreak– Preparing for your wellness
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress - Coronavirus Preparedness & Response: Critical Elements for Business Planning (PDF)
- Tips for Work/Life Balance during COVID-19 (PDF)
A healthy work/life balance can help you navigate your way through COVID-19
- How Supervisors and Managers Can Support Staff during COVID-19 (PDF)
Traumatic stress reactions have an impact not only on the individual, but also on the agency as a whole