Occupational Health and Safety
Mesothelioma: Northeastern Minnesota
- Mesothelioma in Northeastern Minnesota.
Presentation by MDH Commissioner Dr. Sanne Magnan to Range Medical Society, Sept. 26, 2008.
Facts about Mesothelioma in Taconite Miners
MDH Reports and Newsletters
- Investigation of Exposures to Commercial Asbestos in Northeastern Minnesota Iron Miners Who Developed Mesothelioma.
- Mesothelioma in Northeastern Minnesota and Two Occupational Cohorts: 2007 Update (PDF) (December 7, 2007)
- Exposures to Commercial Asbestos in Northeastern Minnesota Iron Miners Who Developed Mesothelioma. (November 25, 2003)
MDH News Releases
- February 17, 2015 - Twenty-one new cases of mesothelioma found in group of mine workers
Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
- On February 28, 2008, the Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) announced new lowered exposure limits for asbestos for the mining industry. The final rule lowers the permissible exposure limits for asbestos from 2 fibers per cubic centimeter (f/cc) to 0.1 f/cc, a 20-fold reduction. The new lowered exposure limits are now the same as OSHA limits. The final rule is effective April 29th, 2008.
Outside Links to Mesothelioma Information (use the Back arrow on your web browser to return to this page):
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Minnesota Taconite Workers Health Study
- National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Mesothelioma – Questions and Answers
- American Cancer Society (ACS)
Detailed Guide: Malignant Mesothelioma
- MedlinePlus – A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the NCI