Body Art Announcements
Twin Cities Tattoo Festival: July 14-16, 2023 at St. Paul RiverCenter
To practice at the Twin Cities Tattoo Festival, artists must hold a full, Minnesota Body Art Technician license issued by the Minnesota Department of Health or a Minnesota Guest Body Art Technician license. All guest technician license applications and payments must be completed online. Paper applications are not accepted.
Submit guest technician license applications prior to June 28th, 2023 for the Twin Cities Tattoo Festival. MDH cannot guarantee that guest technician license applications received on or after June 28, 2023 will be processed in time for the Festival.
What you need to know about being a guest technician:
- All guest technicians must have a current Minnesota-licensed body artist to act as the sponsor.
- The license will allow you to work up to 30 days in the state through December 31, 2023.
- The fee is $140 and is not prorated.
- You must print your license in advance, bring it with you to the festival, and have it prominently displayed while at the event.
- Additional information and guest technician requirements can be found on the Body Art Technician Licensing page.
Have a current guest technician license in the state of Minnesota for 2023?
You will need to add the work dates to your guest body artist license that was previously granted for 2023. The added work dates will need to be approved before you can perform body art procedures at a temporary event. Follow these steps:
- Log in to the Body Art Technician Licensing System.
- Under “Your Licenses” select “Adjust Work Dates.”
- Click “Next” until you are in the “Work Dates” section.
- Click “Add Another Work Period.”
- Enter in requested information and click “Next.”
- Answer the questions in “Questionnaire” section and click “Next.”
- Upload current proof of age and Bloodborne Pathogen (BBP) training and click “Next.”
- Affirm application by adding signature and click “Finish.”
You will then see the work dates under the Work Dates column and it will show “Pending Approval” until the new work dates are approved. You will receive a notice from MDH once the additional dates have been approved. The updated license will include the new work dates. You must print your license in advance and have it prominently displayed while at the event.
Have you previously held a guest technician license in the state of Minnesota?
You can apply for a new guest technician license in the Body Art Technician Licensing System. You may need to claim your previous license before you can renew.
- Log in to the Body Art Technician Licensing System. If you've never logged in before, you will need to create an account.
- If you need to claim your license:
- Select “Claim License.”
- Enter your Minnesota guest technician license number and social security number.
- Select “Claim License.”
- Select “Home” to view your dashboard.
- Select “New Application.”
- Select “Apply for Guest Technician” button and follow the steps outlined in the system to submit a guest artist application.
Never had a guest technician license in the state of Minnesota?
Apply for a new guest technician license through the Body Art Technician Licensing System.
Follow the instructions in the Body Art Technician Licensing System New Applicant Training: Guest Technician License (PDF) to apply for a new/initial guest technician license.
If you are from another country and are applying for a guest technician license, follow the instructions in the Body Art Technician Licensing System New Applicant Training: International Guest Technician License (PDF) to apply for a guest technician license.
Any individual performing body art without a valid license is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. Any individual performing tattoos to persons under the age of 18 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor (regardless of parental or guardian consent). If you are aware of individuals practicing without a license or tattooing minors, please complete a Minnesota Body Art Complaint Form (PDF) and mail it to us, or contact your local police.