How to Become a Medical Cannabis Patient
Find out if you have a qualifying condition, how to get certified, how to register, and how to get the medical cannabis.
1. Contact a Health Care Practitioner
Start the process by contacting your health care practitioner who has responsibility for your care connected to your qualifying condition.
- Qualifying Conditions for Medical Cannabis
You must have one of these conditions, and be a Minnesota resident, in order to be certified for medical cannabis.
- Health Care Practitioners for Medical Cannabis
Check to be sure that your health care practitioner is able to certify you for the program.
- Email address
Give your practitioner an email address appropriate for medical cannabis communications. You may not want to choose an email that others can access or that belongs to your employer. Please fill, sign and bring the Patient E-mail and Acknowledgement Form (PDF) to your health care practitioner.
- If you do not have an email address, please contact our office and we will provide one for you.
- Request a Visit Summary, with all your current medications and medical conditions. This will be helpful for the pharmacist at the Medical Cannabis Dispensary.
2. Wait for Health Care Practitioner Certification
As soon as your practitioner has certified that you have a qualifying condition, you will receive an email (using the address you gave your provider) from the Office of Medical Cannabis. You may need to check your spam/junk folder.
The email will contain the link you need to register online and an important information sheet that you should review before completing registration.
3. Register Online
- In order to register, you will need:
- Link in the email from the Office of Medical Cannabis.
- Your name, address and phone number.
- Government-issued ID: state of Minnesota ID or driver's license (scan or photo from phone).
- If applying for the discounted fee, you will need to show proof of receiving Supplemental Security Income, Social Security Disability (including those transitioned to retirement benefits), medical assistance, MinnesotaCare, IHS, Railroad disability, VA dependency and indemnity compensation, or Veteran’s disability benefits. See the How to Register in the Medical Cannabis Program (PDF) for details.
- Credit card to pay Annual Registration Fee via USBank website. All fees are non-refundable.
- You will receive an email when your account has been approved.
- Enrollments are processed in the order they are received, and it could take up to 30 days to be approved.
- You will need to complete the patient self-evaluation report in your account in the registry.
- Complete the patient self-evaluation report to expedite your visit to the Medical Cannabis Dispensary.
4. Visit a Medical Cannabis Dispensary
Once you receive your approval email, you may visit a Medical Cannabis Dispensary, where a pharmacist will review your account, and recommend specific dosage and type. Payment will be made at that time to the Medical Cannabis Dispensary.
- Medical Cannabis Dispensary locations
Check this map for locations.
5. Fill out Patient Self-evaluation Form
Before returning for more medical cannabis, you must login to your registry account and fill out your patient self-evaluation form. NOTE: This form is located on a separate tab in your Registry account. This form must be completed before each visit to a Medical Cannabis Dispensary.