Petitions Process for Adding Qualifying Medical Conditions, Delivery Methods
Public Written Comments Open for Two Petitions
The Office of Medical Cannabis is accepting public written comments on a petition to add a new qualifying medical condition and on a petition to add a new delivery method (the form in which a medication is taken) for Minnesota's Medical Cannabis Program.
The petitions under consideration are:
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) accepts petitions from the public every year in June and July to add qualifying medical conditions and delivery methods. Additional petitions are no longer being accepted in 2021.
How to Submit Your Comments
By email to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org for anxiety disorder as a new qualifying medical condition.
- email@example.com for GI edibles as a new delivery method.
By U.S. mail to:
Office of Medical Cannabis
PO Box 64882
St. Paul, MN 55164-0882
The deadline to submit written comments is Friday, Oct. 1.
Background on the Anxiety Disorder Petition
Anxiety disorder or panic disorder has been petitioned to be added as a qualifying medical condition during the petition process every year since 2016. Minnesota Health Commissioner Jan Malcom requested that the Office of Medical Cannabis submit a new petition for anxiety disorder as a qualifying medical condition for the 2021 petition cycle, after staff completed a more in-depth review of the issue earlier in the year.
Read more about the Anxiety Disorder Review.
Public Written Comments Received
- Review the 2021 Medical Cannabis Program Medical Condition Petition Comments (PDF). Written comments received through Sept. 12, 2021.
- Review the 2021 Medical Cannabis Program Delivery Method Petition Comments (PDF). Written comments received through Sept. 12, 2021.
This fall, the Medical Cannabis Review Panel will provide the Commissioner of Health a written report identifying potential public health benefits and potential public health harms from adding or not adding anxiety disorder as a qualifying medical condition. The panel does not review petitions for delivery methods.
The Commissioner will approve or deny petitions (including the petition for GI edibles) by Dec. 1, 2021.
Review Petitions from Previous Years
Qualifying medical conditions
- 2020 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2019 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2018 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2017 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2016 Adding New Medical Conditions