Petitions Process for Adding Qualifying Medical Conditions, Delivery Methods
Infused Edibles to be New Delivery Method in 2022
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) will add infused edibles (in the form of gummies and chews) as a new delivery method for medical cannabis in the Medical Cannabis Program, effective in August 2022.
MDH accepts petitions from the public every year in June and July to add qualifying medical conditions and delivery methods. A petition to add anxiety disorder as a qualifying medical condition was not approved.
The petitions under consideration in 2021 were:
Background on the Anxiety Disorder Petition
Anxiety disorder or panic disorder has been petitioned to be added as a qualifying medical condition during the petition process every year since 2016. Minnesota Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm requested that the Office of Medical Cannabis submit a new petition for anxiety disorder as a qualifying medical condition for the 2021 petition cycle, after staff completed a more in-depth review of the issue earlier in the year.
Read more about the Anxiety Disorder Review.
Public Written Comments Received
- Review the 2021 Medical Cannabis Program Medical Condition Petition Comments (PDF). Written comments received through Oct. 1, 2021.
- Review the 2021 Medical Cannabis Program Delivery Method Petition Comments (PDF). Written comments received through Oct. 1, 2021.
Review Petitions from Previous Years
Qualifying medical conditions
- 2020 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2019 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2018 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2017 Adding New Medical Conditions
- 2016 Adding New Medical Conditions