Medical Cannabis Information for Health Care Practitioners
Registration and Certification Information
Register for Minnesota's Medical Cannabis Program today!
- Create an account with us at the Health Care Practitioner Registration page.
- Who can certify patients? Minnesota-licensed physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses.
- Get a fact sheet about the Health Care Practitioner Registration Process (PDF).
- Already registered? Log in to the Registry and certify your patient.
- Certifying Patients for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program (PDF)
Presents information on certifying patients for obstructive sleep apnea, including references to OSA diagnostic and management guidelines and treatment modalities.
- Intractable Pain Certification in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program: A Primer for Health Care Practitioners (PDF)
Presents details on certifying patients for intractable pain and information resources on pain management and the potential for cannabis therapy as part of pain management.
- Patient Annual Recertification and Enrollment
Patients who are enrolled in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program must have their qualifying condition recertified by a Minnesota licensed physician, physician assistant or an advanced practice registered nurse on an annual basis per MN Stat. 152.27 Subd. 3 (b). Key points for health care practitioners to be aware of include:
- A patient currently enrolled in the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program does not have to have the current health care practitioner recertify them; they are allowed to have another health care practitioner registered in the program certify their condition.
- Registered health care practitioners can recertify currently active patients in the program up to 90 days before the patient's enrollment in the program expires. If the health care practitioner is attempting to certify an active patient that was originally certified by another registered health care practitioner, they will need to search for the patient via the patient lookup on the health care practitioners main page in the registry.
Continuing medical education opportunities
- Medical Cannabis Online Continuing Medical Education Opportunities
TheAnswerPage is offering CME/CE credits with the Minnesota Medical Cannabis 4-hour course.
- The Medical Cannabis Institute
The Medical Cannabis Institute is a leading online provider of ACCME and ANCC-certified medical education for the clinical application of medical cannabis. Their science-based courses help health care professionals deliver quality care and address patient questions. Use the customized link above to view curricula and course offerings to earn CME credits at a reduced price.
- Cannabis Expertise
Cannabis Expertise offers onsite medical cannabis programs and webinars for CME, ANCC, ACPE, and APRN pharmacotherapy credit at a reduced rate for Minnesota residents.
- Review and Reports
- Serious health effect reporting
- Important information and warnings about using medical cannabis (PDF)
- A Review of Medical Cannabis Studies relating to Chemical Compositions and Dosages for Qualifying Medical Conditions (PDF)
A summary of clinical trials and prospective observational studies in humans, published in peer-reviewed journals, which focus on medical cannabis formulations consistent with Minnesota’s medical cannabis program. This report is updated annually.
- Health Care Practitioner Guidance for Minnesota's Medical Cannabis Program (PDF)
This document is intended to be a helpful guide to clinics that are developing their policies, practices and workflows to participate in Minnesota's Medical Cannabis Program. The document was created in partnership with the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement (ICSI) and focuses on ambulatory care. Note: this document, created in 2015, contains information and suggestions that continue to be a helpful resource for clinicians. However, changes in statutes and rules have made some information in the document outdated. ICSI will not be producing an updated version of this document, so we advise that you cross reference other sections of our website for the most current information.