Emergency Preparedness & Response
Emergency Planning for Individuals with Access and Functional Needs
The following are resources to assist public health and health care with emergency planning for individuals with access and functional needs. Per HHS.gov/ASPR's Addressing the Access and Functional Needs of At-Risk Individuals, at-risk individuals are “people with access and functional needs that may interfere with their ability to access or receive medical care before, during, or after a disaster or emergency.”
- Who Might be Considered "At Risk" Populations During Disaster and Crisis
Some individuals have and may have greater difficulty accessing the public health and medical services they require following a disaster or emergency.
- Defining "At Risk" Populations
Compares and contrasts several definitions for "At Risk" Populations.
At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide
A discussion guide to drive conversations between health care coalition members, local public health, and other local partners, to support planning for at-risk populations with access and functional needs.
- At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide - Intro (PDF)
- At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide - Facilitator Guide (PDF)
- At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide - Participant Guide (PDF)
- At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide - Report Template (Word)
- At Risk Population Planning Discussion Guide - Introductory PowerPoint (PDF)
People with Access and Functional Needs
- HSEM: Access and Functional Needs Toolkit
Minnesota-specific toolkit to help when working with a variety of populations that may need extra assistance in a disaster.
- CDC: Public Health Workbook to Define, Locate and Reach Special, Vulnerable, and At-Risk Populations in an Emergency (PDF)
The Workbook from the CDC provides a process that can support state, local, and tribal planners as they advance in their efforts to reach all populations—and specifically, special populations—in day-to-day communication and during crisis or emergency situations.
- HHS emPOWER Map
The HHS emPOWER Map displays the total number of at-risk electricity dependent Medicare beneficiaries by county or zip code. Users can utilize this data to plan for the needs of electricity-dependent individuals in their area.