Emergency Preparedness & Response
Last Updated: 10/03/2022
Health Care Sheltering, Relocation, and Evacuation
There are times during a disaster or emergency when health care facilities may need to shelter in place, relocate their patients, or evacuate their facility completely. Below are resources to help health care facilities plan for these situations.
- Should I Stay or Should I Go Now? Health Care Facility Sheltering, Relocation, and Evacuation (PowerPoint)
Presentation covering the types of incidents that lead to sheltering, relocation or evacuation, along with actions and strategies for each option.
- Health Care Facility Sheltering, Relocation, and Evacuation (PowerPoint)
Presentation on the specific challenges for health care and long-term care facilities.
- Emergency Sheltering, Relocation, and Evacuation for Health Care Facilities (Word) (PDF)
Template for hospitals and long-term care facilities. Updated April, 2012.
- Health Care Facility Training Matrix for Sheltering, Relocation, and Evacuation (PowerPoint)
- Educational Support Matrix (PDF)
Checklist to assess health care staff's proficiency in various evacuation and shelter-in-place activities.
- Hospital Evacuation Job Aid (PDF)
Threat assessment and decision tool.
Tools and Resources
- Health Care Coalition Surge Test
Overview on the Hospital Preparedness Program surge exercise designed to help health care coalitions identify gaps in surge planning.