Hearing Instrument Dispenser Certification
If you would like to receive an email notice when this page gets updated, subscribe to Hearing Instrument Dispensing Certification Updates.
Updated Change of Information Form now available
Minnesota Statutes 153A.13 requires licensees to notify the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) within thirty days when there is a change of name, employment, or address. A name change request must be submitted with a copy of a marriage certificate or court order.
MDH has created a new HID Change of Information Form (PDF) for Hearing Instrument Dispensers and Trainees to easily submit their notifications. The new form includes section for each kind of change, and can be submitted by mail or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FDA establishes guidance for OTC hearing aids, effective October 17, 2022
Effective October 17, 2022 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will begin classifying hearing aids as either "over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aids" or "prescription hearing aids."
- OTC hearing aids for devices that meet specific criteria located in 21 CFR §800.30 and are intended to assist with perceived mild to moderate hearing impairment.
- Prescription hearing aids are any device that is not an OTC hearing aid. Prescription hearing aids are classified as prescription devices pursuant to 21 CFR §801.109(a)(2)
Pursuant to 21 CFR §800.30(h) state and local governments are now prohibited from enacting any legislation or regulations that would interfere with the sale or distribution of OTC hearing aids, including enacting any licensing requirements on individuals who wish to sell or distribute OTC hearing aids.
You can read the full text of the rule on the Federal Register:: Medical Devices; Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Establishing Over-the-counter Hearing Aids.
Information for consumers about purchasing prescription hearing aids can be found on this page: What to Know When Buying Prescription Hearing Aids.
- Practitioner/Credential Lookup
- Request to Verify Minnesota State License Form (PDF)
- Complaint Form
- Complaint Process (PDF)
- Consumer Information Resources
- Disciplinary Actions
- What to Know When Buying Prescription Hearing Aids
- Ensuring Competent Care from Audiologists
- Hearing Instrument Dispenser Advisory Council
- HID Exam Information
- HID Written Exam
- HID Exam Materials
- Continuing Education Information
- Change of Information Form (PDF)
- Duplicate Certificate
- Health Professionals Services Program (HPSP)
- Mailing Label Requests
- Trainee Memo (PDF)
- Trainee Application (PDF)
- Trainee Reciprocity Application (PDF)
- HID Certification Application
- Regulatory Requirements
- HID Practitioner Renewal Info