- Mortuary Science Home
- Ad Hoc Meeting
- Applications and Forms
- Consumer Information
- Disciplinary Actions
- Establishment Information
- Internship Information
- Mortician and Funeral Director Information
- State and Federal Laws, Rules and Regulations
- Related Sites and Contacts
- Contact Us
Mortuary Science Continuing Education
As required by Minnesota Statutes, section 149A.40, subdivision 1, morticians and funeral directors must renew their license to practice before December 31 of each year.
If you are renewing your license to practice for the 2023 calendar year, and your license ends in an odd number, you are required to submit a continuing education (CE) report form with your renewal application and application fees. Minnesota Statutes, Section 149A.40, Subd 11 requires 15 hours of CE with your renewal. Your CE report requires nine hours in the following areas:
- Body preparation, care or handling, 3 CE hours
- Professional practices, 3 CE hours
- Regulation and ethics, 3 CE hours
Please note you may be required to complete one hour of CE as required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) (PDF). OSHA CE hours count for credit towards your 15 hours of CE under body preparation care and handling, regulation and ethics or general categories.
If your license number ends in an ODD number, you must submit CE hours that you earned from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2022.
Print copies of the Mortuary Science Continuing Education Reporting Form (PDF). You may make copies of this form as needed.
You MUST upload your CE Report during this year's 2023 online renewal.
Continuing Education Events
These organizations offer Continuing Education events:
- Academy of Professional Funeral Service Practice
- All Star Training Inc
- Bryan Ventures, Inc.
- Cremation Association of North America
- Minnesota Funeral Directors Association
- National Funeral Directors Association
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- The Conference
- University of Minnesota Professional Resources
If there is a continuing education program that offers credit and the program is not from one of the organizations listed above, we may require additional information about the course.