- Sanitarian Home
- Apply for Registration
- Approved Science Course List
- Exam Study Sessions and Reference Material
- Laws and Rules
- Look-Up Registered Sanitarians
- Pre-Approved Continuing Education Courses
- REHS/RS Advisory Council
- Renew Your Registration
- Contact us
Environmental Health Division
Renew Your Registration
Continuing education is required for renewal (Minnesota Rules, part 4695.2600, subpart 7) of the Sanitarian/Environmental Health Specialist credential in order to assure continuing competency of the holders of the credential. Changes in technology and discovery of new and emerging environmental health hazards require professionals to acquire and maintain the most current knowledge on past, present and future public health concepts.
Contact hours are granted for acceptable continuing education activities when the activity continues for at least 50 minutes, excluding coffee breaks, registration, meals or other social activities. Renewal of the credential requires at least 24 contact hours during the renewal period.
Continuing Education Requirements
Continuing education activities must meet the criteria listed in Minnesota Rules, part 4695.2800, subpart 3.
Courses can be found at Pre-Approved Continuing Education Courses.
Renew Your Registration
To renew your Minnesota credential as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist/ Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) with the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), you must :
1. Complete the Minnesota REHS/RS Renewal (PDF) application.
2. Provide documentation that you have completed 24 contact hours of acceptable continuing education activities during your current registration period.
Continuing Education Documentation
- Documentation for pre-approved continuing education activities is:
- A copy of the certificate of completion.
- Documentation for each continuing education activity that was not pre-approved is:
- A copy of the certificate of completion, grade card, or transcript and
- A Minnesota REHS/RS Renewal Continuing Education Activity Report (PDF) and
- A copy of the agenda – including start, breaks, and end times.
3. Pay the required $45 renewal fee. A $10 late fee will be assessed for all late registrations and mail your paperwork to the following address:
Minnesota Department of Health
Sanitarian Registration Program
625 Robert Street N.
PO Box 64975
St. Paul, MN 55164-0975
Environmental program areas include but not limited to : Food, beverage, and lodging sanitation; housing; refuse disposal; water supply sanitation; rodent, insect, and vermin control; accident prevention; swimming pool and public bathing facility sanitation; radiation safety; air and water quality, noise pollution, and institutional and industrial hygiene. Implementation includes community education, investigation, consultation, review of construction laws, collection of samples and interpretation of laboratory data, enforcement actions, review and recommendation of policy and/or regulation.
Note: Continuing education activities in areas of computer science, management, program administration, interpersonal and human relation skills are limited to six hours total per renewal. Learning experiences in areas that are not related to environmental health, staff meetings, business meetings, and social activities do not meet the requirements for continuing education credit.