Teacher and School Employee Mental Health Training
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Register for an online information session to learn how to bring Kognito to your school.
The Minnesota Department of Health, the Minnesota Department of Education, and Kognito have partnered to bring free, online mental health training to Minnesota schools. Together, we can build a statewide community of leaders who can support the mental and emotional well-being of all students. The training initiative provides free access to Kognito At-Risk for Minnesota districts and schools.
At-Risk is a series of three online interactive modules. The modules will help educators and other school staff improve their skills, confidence, and willingness to help students in distress.
The modules are for staff at the elementary, middle, and high school grade levels. Participants engage in role-playing simulations, interact with virtual students showing signs of mental distress, and receive tips from virtual coaches. The modules can be completed in one hour.
- Meet educator suicide prevention training requirement per MN statute 122A.187 as determined by district.
- Learn to identify, approach, and refer students at-risk of mental distress by using motivational interviewing and communication skills.
Who may participate?
Any school personnel that interact with students can participate in the training.
How to participate?
- To provide a high-quality training experience we encourage districts and schools to:
- Identify a main staff member “champion” to roll-out the initiative.
- Have all school staff complete Kognito simulations.
- Share district referral policy and local mental health support services with staff.
If your school or district has not offered the Kognito training you can still participate by registering an account at Kognito Minnesota School Personnel Mental Health Awareness Training.
For any additional information, contact the Suicide Prevention Unit at Health.suicideprev.MDH@state.mn.us.