Teacher and School Employee Mental Health Training
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Register for an online information session to learn how to bring Kognito to your school. All sessions are from 10 a.m.to 11 a.m. central time.
At-Risk is a series of three online interactive modules. The modules help educators and other school staff improve their skills, confidence, and willingness to help students in distress.
The modules are for staff at elementary, middle, and high school grade levels. Participants engage in role-playing simulations, interact with virtual students showing signs of mental distress, and receive tips from virtual coaches. The modules can be completed in one hour.
The Minnesota Department of Health, the Minnesota Department of Education, and Kognito have partnered to bring online mental health training to Minnesota schools. The training initiative provides free access to Kognito At-Risk for Minnesota districts and schools.
Friend 2 Friend Mental Health Training for Students
Schools that launch Kognito At Risk can now choose to participate in Friend 2 Friend – a virtual game-based training for students.
- Learn to recognize signs of distress.
- Know how to reach out to a friend.
- Identify a trusted adult to seek help from.
- Build knowledge and skills around mental health while reducing stigma.
- For more information on Friend 2 Friend, email Health.suicideprev.MDH@state.mn.us.
- Kognito At-Risk meets educator suicide prevention training requirement per MN statute 122A.187 as determined by district.
- Learn to identify, approach, and refer students at-risk of mental distress by using motivational interviewing and communication skills.
Who may participate?
Any school personnel that interact with students can participate in the training.
How to participate?
To provide a high-quality training experience we encourage districts and schools to:
- Identify a main staff member “champion” to roll-out the initiative.
- Have all school staff complete Kognito simulations.
- Share district referral policy and local mental health support services with staff.
If your school or district has not offered the Kognito training you can still participate by registering an account at Kognito Minnesota School Personnel Mental Health Awareness Training.
Minnesota Suicide Prevention Kognito Champions Schools and Districts
Congratulations to the Minnesota schools and districts with the Suicide Prevention Kognito Champion School or District designation!
Any schools or district that implements Kognito At Risk are able to apply for designation as a Minnesota Suicide Prevention Champion School or District.
Champion schools/districts receive:
Certificate of Excellence signed by the Commissioner of Health
Digital marketing materials
Recognition in Minnesota Department of Health Suicide Prevention Newsletter and website
The first 15 school/districts receive:
Kognito swag bag with pens, notepads, Champion placard, and coffee cups
For any additional information, contact the Suicide Prevention Unit at Health.suicideprev.MDH@state.mn.us.