Cardiovascular Health Indicator
Measure: High Cholesterol Prevalence
|Indicator||Date of Most Recent Measure||Current Measure||Trend|
|Percentage of adults who have had their blood cholesterol checked and have been told it was high||2017||25.1%||Improving|
- In 2017, 25.1% of Minnesota adults reported that they have been told they have high cholesterol, impacting approximately 1 million people.
- Almost half of Minnesota adults aged 65 or older reported being told they have high cholesterol.
- One in seven Minnesota adults reported that they have never had their cholesterol checked.
- Only 59% of adults in Minnesota reporting that they have been told they have high cholesterol also report they are currently taking cholesterol medications.
- Minnesota adults who have a disability were more likely to report having high cholesterol compared to adults who are not disabled.
- Approximately one third of adults who experienced 14 or more poor mental health days in the last 30 days also reported having high cholesterol.