Find a Radon Mitigation Professional - EH: Minnesota Department of Health Updated Monday, 15-Aug-2022 18:11:32 CDT

Find a Radon Mitigation Professional

Individuals conducting radon mitigation in Minnesota are required to be licensed by MDH.

To find a mitigation professional, select Radon Mitigation Professional.

Radon Mitigation Professional

If you have a question about any radon-related activity, please contact MDH Indoor Air Unit with questions or to request a free inspection of a radon mitigation system installed after June 2020 at or by phone at 651-201-4601.

Properly designing and installing a radon mitigation system is a professional level activity. This will ensure the final system is properly located and sized to achieve optimal radon reduction and not cause any other potential issues with the structure.

Important Tips

  • Make sure the individual hired visits the job site prior to beginning any work, to give you a solid proposal for mitigation. Bids should not be made over the phone or by email. 
  • Make sure the licensed individual will be on-site doing the work or review the mitigation work completed at the end of the project.
  • Avoid unlicensed installers and inexpensive mitigation rates (less than $1,000). Price quotes promising really low installation rates are often too good to be true and leave the consumer with sub-standard workmanship and materials and a radon system that may not be working.
  • Get a firm price and avoid hidden fees for future work when it may become necessary.
  • Do not pay for the system in full before the work is complete. A valid radon test showing reduced levels should be obtained prior to full payment.

Questions to Ask a Mitigation Professional

  • Can you provide a list of references?
  • What is your individual MDH license number?
  • Is the price firm or are their hidden fees?
  • Will a contract be provided?
  • Will you perform diagnostics to determine the suction point location and correct pipe and fan sizes?
  • Will electrical work need to be performed to power the radon mitigation system?  If so, is the contractor licensed and is that cost included in the proposal? For questions regarding electrical licensing or inspection, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) at or 651-284-5026.
  • Who is responsible for obtaining permits, if required?
  • Is there a warranty on materials or the workmanship? If so, for how long? Do you warranty system performance?
  • How will the system be evaluated?
  • Will you offer the homeowner training in the radon mitigation system operations and/or troubleshooting?
  • Will you guarantee that radon levels will be brought to below the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) recommended action level of 4.0 pCi/L?
  • What will you do if radon levels are not below the EPA's recommended action level after mitigation?
  • Will final payment be made after the work is complete and a radon test shows reduced levels?