Licensing for Radon Professionals - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Licensing for Radon Professionals

The Minnesota Radon Licensing Act (Minnesota Statutes 144.4961) was passed by the legislature and signed into law in May 2015. This act gives Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) the authority to write rules and enforce laws related to the radon industry in the state.

The lawsuit against the Commissioner of Health, concerning the Minnesota Radon Licensing Act (MRLA), was dismissed by a district court judge on February 20, 2020. MDH is moving forward with implementing the residential mitigation licensure requirements under the MRLA and its associated rule. In the near future, MDH will provide additional information including deadlines for obtaining licenses and tags, and instructions for how to proceed if you hold a measurement or commercial mitigation license.

Who needs a license?

Professionals that measure and companies that perform radon lab analysis, must be licensed by MDH. Mitigation professionals and companies that mitigate non-residential buildings must be licensed.

  • Measurement professionals: an individual who places or retrieves test device in buildings they do not own or lease.
  • Mitigation professionals: an individual who installs or designs a radon mitigation system ┬áin a non-residential building they do not own or lease, or provides on-site supervision of mitigation work.
  • Mitigation companies: a business or government entity that employs one or more licensed mitigation professional and performs or authorizes employees to perform radon mitigation in a non-residential building.
  • Radon Analysis Laboratories: a business or government entity that analyzes passive radon test devices for the presence or concentration of radon. Contact MDH for information on licensing as a laboratory at 651-201-4601.

More specific licensing information:

Who does not need a license?

No license is required for the following:

  • Testing radon concentrations in a building that you own or lease
  • Installing a mitigation system in a building that you own or lease
  • Installing a mitigation system in a residential building
  • Installing radon control systems in newly constructed homes, prior to a certificate of occupancy being issued
  • Providing radon testing devices or information for general education purposes
  • A building official or that person’s designee
  • Hardware stores that sell test kits
  • Mitigation technicians if they are supervised on-site by a licensed radon professional

Licensing Cost

  • Measurement Professional License: $150 per year
  • Mitigation Professional License: Non-residential only $250 per year (a mitigation professional license includes a measurement license)
  • Mitigation Company License: Non-residential only $100 per year (this fee is waived if the company employs or contracts one licensed mitigation professional)
  • Radon Analysis Laboratory: $500 per year (waived for government entity distributing tests kits to general public)
  • Radon System Tags: $75 per tag (radon tags are required on all mitigation systems installed by professionals in non-residential buildings)
Updated Wednesday, 26-Feb-2020 11:26:45 CST