Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health
This award recognizes individuals who have made a significant contribution to the promotion and implementation of local public health in Minnesota.
2019 Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health
Marv Bodie, Carlton County commissioner, chair of Carlton-Cook-Lake-St. Louis Community Health Board
Commissioner Marv Bodie is hands-on with his endeavors to help Carlton County, his community health board, and the Healthy Northland SHIP partnership improve the health of thousands of residents. Through his support of regional coordinators, he helps bring programs to his constituents that wouldn't otherwise be possible in small, rural counties.
About this Award
The Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health was created in 1998 to recognize locally elected officials who make a significant contribution to promoting and implementing local public health in Minnesota. This award reflects the dedicated spirit of elected officials whose significant contributions have defined community health services and local public health today. The first Award for Outstanding Dedication to Local Public Health was presented in memory of Kal Michels, Wilkin County Commissioner and 1990 SCHSAC Chair.
Eligibility & Nominations
Eligibility requirements include: Local elected official, former or retired elected official, or appointed representative to a community health board or local board of health. Nominate an individual or group for this award.
- 2019 Marv Bodie, Carlton County commissioner, Carlton-Cook-Lake-St. Louis Community Health Board
- 2018 Rose Jost, Richfield Advisory Board of Health
- 2017 Susan Morris, Isanti County commissioner
- 2016 Rosemary Schultz, Jackson County commissioner
- 2015 Bev Bales, Douglas County commissioner
- 2014 Nancy Schouweiler, Dakota County commissioner
- 2013 Karen Nordstrom, Bloomington City Council
- 2012 Larry Kittelson, Pope County commissioner
- 2011 William Montague, Polk County commissioner
- 2010 David Benson, Nobles County commissioner
- 2009 Helene Kahlstorf, North Country Community Health Board
- 2008 Marcia Ward, Winona County commissioner
- 2007 Karen Pfeifer, Nobles-Rock Community Health Board
- 2006 Marvin Tinklenberg, Pipestone County commissioner
- 2005 Bev Wangerin, McLeod County commissioner
- 2004 John Baerg, Watonwan County commissioner
- 2003 Ed Larson, Crow Wing County commissioner
- 2002 Harlan Madsen, Kandiyohi County commissioner
- 2001 Jean Michaels, Olmsted County commissioner
- 2000 Mary Haug, Aitkin County commissioner
- 1999 Dean Masset, Goodhue County commissioner
- 1998 Bill Brakke, Rock County commissioner, in memory of Commissioner Kal Michel