- Cardiovascular Health Home
- CVH Data and Trends
- CVH Programs & Resources
- 2030 State Plan
- Minnesota Stroke Program
- About Us
- About Heart Attacks
- About Heart Disease
- About High Blood Pressure
- About High Cholesterol
- About Stroke
STEMI Systems of Care
A STEMI (ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction) is the most severe type of heart attack, affecting about 3,000 Minnesotans each year. The Minnesota Department of Health focuses on improving STEMI systems of care to improve health outcomes for heart attack patients.
MDH has demonstrated success with systems-based approaches that guided the development of the Minnesota Statewide Trauma System and the Minnesota Stroke System. These systems have helped improve identification, triage, and appropriate care for patients experiencing trauma and stroke events.
Read more about STEMI in Rural Minnesota: Rural Minnesota STEMI Systems of Care (PDF) June, 2017
Minnesota Acute Coronary Syndrome Chest Pain Toolkit
Implementing standard guidelines for the treatment of patients experiencing chest pain is a key approach to getting heart attack patients to the right care quickly. The American Heart Association and Minnesota Department of Health convened a group to develop a toolkit for the triage and treatment of patients experiencing chest pain. Based on the most current guidelines from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology, this toolkit describes the most appropriate treatment approaches for EMS agencies and hospital emergency departments.
- Minnesota Acute Coronary Syndrome Chest Pain Toolkit with Flowcharts (Non-accessible PDF)
- Minnesota Acute Coronary Syndrome Chest Pain Toolkit Outline (Accessible PDF)
STEMI Receiving Center Hospital Designation
A STEMI Receiving Center is a hospital with personnel, infrastructure and expertise to diagnose and treat patients who require intensive medical and surgical care, specialized tests, or interventional therapies.
The Minnesota Department of Health has the authority to designate hospitals as STEMI Receiving Centers through Minnesota Statute 144.4941. The Minnesota Department of Health recognizes the certification programs listed below as consistent with the Minnesota STEMI Receiving Center designation:
- ACC Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI
- ACC Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI and Resuscitation
- ACE Cath/PCI
- DNV GL Healthcare Chest Pain Program (Chest Pain & STEMI Receiving Programs/PCI-Capable)
- The Joint Commission/AHA Primary Heart Attack Center
- The Joint Commission/AHA Comprehensive Cardiac Center
Apply for designation
Hospitals can apply for STEMI Receiving Center designation at any time. MDH will follow-up with any questions on an application within one week of submission. Applications will be reviewed immediately and Minnesota STEMI Receiving Center Designation certificates issued on a monthly basis. For questions about STEMI Receiving Center designation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designated STEMI Receiving Centers
As of 3/1/2023, the following hospitals are designated as STEMI Receiving Centers by the Minnesota Department of Health:
- Duluth, MN – Essentia Health St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Duluth, MN – St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth
- Fargo, ND – Essentia Health Fargo
- Fargo, ND – Sanford Medical Center Fargo
- Sioux Falls, SD – Sanford USD Medical Center