Vaccinating Staff, Protecting Patients
FluSafe is on hold indefinitely due to several outbreak responses. We encourage you to continue to use the resources below.
The FluSafe program recognizes Minnesota hospitals and long-term care facilities for high flu vaccination rates among health care personnel (1).
Participating facilities track health care personnel (1) flu vaccines in the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC). Facilities will also select a barrier to health care personnel flu vaccination during registration to work to address throughout the season. At the end of the season, facilities will confirm their MIIC flu vaccination rate and report how they worked to address the selected barrier. The Minnesota Department of Health recognizes facilities that achieve vaccination rates of 90% and higher and report on the work done to address selected barriers.
(1) For FluSafe, health care personnel is defined as all paid employees and licensed independent practitioners who are physically present in the health care facility for at least one working day from Oct. 1 through March 31 of the current influenza season.
Instructions for participating
List of the hospitals and long-term care facilities who participated in the FluSafe program for 2019-20. Flusafe was initially paused due to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 flu season.
- Vaccinating Health Care Workers
A list of barriers to health care personnel flu vaccination and potential strategies. These are things you can address throughout the season.
- MIIC and FluSafe Webinar
Recorded Jan. 11, 2017, live webinar on how to use MIIC to participate in FluSafe. Webinar sections start at the following times:
- Getting and Filling Out the Spreadsheet - 57 seconds
- Uploading the Spreadsheet - 23 minutes, 47 seconds
- Running FluSafe Reports - 27 minutes, 42 seconds
- General Immunization Upload Using the Spreadsheet Template (PDF)
How to use the MIIC Spreadsheet to load immunization data for any vaccine into MIIC.
- Running FluSafe Reports (PDF)
How to run FluSafe reports in MIIC to check your FluSafe data and calculate your current rate.
- Submitting and Exchanging Data with MIIC
Resources for data reporting and exchange with MIIC.
Contact the FluSafe team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-5503.
- Statement of Support for the Minnesota Department of Health FluSafe Recognition Program (PDF)
Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety (MAPS) statement of support for FluSafe.