Reporting Giardiasis (Giardia intestinalis)
What to report
Giardiasis (Giardia intestinalis) must be reported to MDH within one working day.
- Giardiasis Case Definitions, CDC
Case definition from CDC's National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System (NNDSS) for Giardiasis.
How to report Giardiasis
- Foodborne (Enteric) Disease Reporting Form
The Foodborne (Enteric) Disease Reporting Form can be used to report this disease.
Giardiasis may be reported by phone to 651-201-5414.
Other reporting: reporting suspected foodborne and waterborne illness
- Foodborne and Waterborne Illness Hotline
MDH's foodborne and waterborne illness hotline may be used by anyone to report a suspected case of foodborne or waterborne illness.
Your call to the hotline helps us identify foodborne and waterborne illness outbreaks in Minnesota and will help prevent the spread of illness to others.
Who is required to report
- Health care practitioners (health care facilities, medical laboratories, and in certain circumstances veterinarians and veterinary medical laboratories) are required to report disease to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) under Minnesota state law.
- Unless previously reported, every licensed health care provider who provides care to any patient who has, is suspected of having, or has died from a reportable disease is required to report.
- Any person in charge of any institution, school, child care facility, or camp is also required to report disease to MDH.