HIV Testing Trainings
MDH-funded HIV Testing Training
The following training series is required for staff at agencies that are directly funded by MDH to implement HIV testing. Both session dates are required. Members of the public are welcome to attend as space allows, although priority is given to grantee agencies.
The course will include information on:
- The basics of HIV, prevention, testing, and linkage to care
- Undetectable = Untransmitable
- PREP & PEP
- Counseling and data collection
- Bloodborne pathogens
- Delivering results
Prerequisites: Rapid HIV Test Online Training Course
No cost to attend, but pre-registration is required.
Location, date, & time:
This will be an in person training for individuals and organizations located in the metropolitan area of Minnesota. The training sessions will take place at The Aliveness Project.
- Feb. 26: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Feb 27: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Feb. 28: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Questions about this course or registration? Please call 651-201-5414 and ask to speak to someone about the HIV testing training.
Rapid HIV Testing Online Training Course (4 one-hour modules)
This training is a requirement for staff at agencies that are directly funded by MDH/CDC to implement HIV testing and is a pre-requisite for attending the MDH-funded HIV Testing Training. Staff may access this course online or be taught in person by a waived rapid testing Certified CDC Trainer, or a combination of both.
The CDC on-line Rapid HIV Testing Online Course will offer an opportunity for HIV Prevention Providers working in non-clinical settings to gain knowledge and skills on administering rapid HIV testing. Rapid HIV Testing will allow providers greater reach into places where HIV testing has not been available. This course will also benefit any provider new to rapid HIV testing.
The online course has four modules:
- Overview and Introduction to Rapid HIV Testing
- Safe Work Practices and Specimen Collection for Rapid HIV Testing
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control in a Rapid HIV Testing Environment
- HIV Prevention Counseling and Providing Rapid HIV Test Results
Participants are expected to have basic knowledge of HIV transmission and prevention.
Requirement for MDH funded agencies:
Agency must keep copies of staff training certificates of completion on file for all staff conducting HIV testing.
Grantees of MDH must also complete the HIV Testing Training Series before conducting un-supervised testing sessions (the first two are open trainings and available to all providers).
You will need to create a login to register for the online Rapid HIV Testing Online Course (RHT) through CDC's TRAIN e-Learning Center. PDF instructions for registering CDC online modules are listed here:
- Step 1: CDC TRAIN: CDC's online learning system (PDF)
Instructions on how to create a new account in CDC TRAIN and join the CDC HIV capacity building assistance (CBA) learning group.
- Step 2: Getting to Rapid HIV Testing in CDC TRAIN (PDF)
Steps to get to the “Rapid HIV Testing” modules once you join the CBA learning group.
Main CDC TRAIN website: CDC TRAIN
- STD and HIV Training and Resources
Free online CE training modules, capacity-building resources, Minnesota-specific trainings, and more.