Assisted Living Licensure
Assisted Living Licensure (ALL) within the Health Regulation Division of the Minnesota Department of Health oversees and regulates licensed assisted living providers in Minnesota. These activities include:
- On-site surveys and enforcement
- Communication with providers and the public on the issues of assisted living laws and regulation.
Our mission is to protect, maintain and improve the health of Minnesotans who receive assisted living services.
The Assisted Living Licensure law under Minnesota Statutes, chapter 144G was passed by the 2019 Minnesota Legislature and updated as part of the Legislature's 2020 7th Special Session. The law established regulatory standards governing the provision of housing and services in assisted living facilities and assisted living facilities with dementia care to help ensure the health, safety, well-being, and appropriate treatment of residents. It also authorized the commissioner to adopt rules for all assisted living facilities that promote person-centered planning and service delivery and optimal quality of life, and that ensure resident rights are protected, resident choice is allowed, and public health and safety is ensured.
October 5, 2021: Assisted Living Licensure Closure Form now available.
An Assisted Living Licensure Closure Form (PDF) has been added to the Forms and Self-Audit Tools page under the Notifications heading. If an assisted living facility elects to voluntarily close, the facility must notify MDH in writing by submitting the Assisted Living Licensure Closure Form (PDF) along with a proposed closure plan. Proposed closure plans are subject to the commissioner’s review and approval, and the facility may not take any action to close the residence prior to the commissioner’s approval of the plan. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com for further assistance.
August 27, 2021: Waiver and Variance Request forms now available.
We've added three new forms for providers to the Forms and Self-Audit tools page, under the Waiver and Variance Forms heading. These forms allow providers to submit requests for waivers and variances under the statutes and rules regulating assisted living providers.
- Assisted Living Licensure Innovation Variance Request (PDF): Use this variance request if the assisted living facility licensee or assisted living facility with dementia care licensee is requesting an innovation variance under Minnesota Statutes, section 144G.33.
- Assisted Living Licensure Rules Variance Request (PDF): Use this variance request if the applicant for, or licensee of, either an assisted living facility license or an assisted living facility with dementia care license is requesting a rules variance under Minnesota Rules, part 4659.0080.
- Sections 144G.45 or 144G.81 Waiver Request (PDF): Use this request form if the assisted living facility licensee or assisted living facility with dementia care licensee is requesting a waiver under Minnesota Statutes, sections 144G.45, subd. 7, or 144G.81, subd. 5.
July 30, 2021: Assisted Living Licensure becomes law on August 1, 2021
Assisted Living Licensure (ALL) becomes law on Sunday, August 1, changing the licensing structure for assisted living facilities in Minnesota. MDH worked diligently with provider organizations, consumer advocates, and other stakeholders to successfully implement ALL during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The number of Minnesota providers applying for assisted living licenses exceeded expectations given the number of assisted living-type facilities in the state. A total of 2,011 providers have applied for the Assisted Living Licensure:
- Assisted Living Facilities applications: 1,415
- Assisted Living Facilities with Dementia Care applications: 596
July 19, 2021: Notice of of Adoption for Rules Governing Assisted Living Facilities
The Notice of Adoption for the Rules Governing Assisted Living Facilities was published in the State Register on July 19, 2021. You may review the Notice of Adoption on the Minnesota State Register website, State Register Volume 46, Number 3. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
- Application Materials
Bill of Rights
- MN Statues, section 144G.91: Assisted Living Bill of Rights
- Patient, Resident and Home Care Bill of Rights
- Assisted Living Fact Sheets
Resources for Providers
- Resources for Assisted Living Providers
Reporting of Maltreatment
- Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment
Assisted Living Director
- Apply for Assisted Living Director Licensure
Assisted Living Law
- Assisted Living Laws and Statutes
- Laws 2020, 7th Special Session, chapter 1, article 6
- House File 2128-5 (PDF)
- Minnesota Government Publications DBA Allegra Eagan
Assisted Living Facilities Rulemaking
- Assisted Living Rulemaking
- Assisted Living Licensure Background
- Assisted Living Licensure Contact Information