Licensing and Certification
- Becoming Licensed/
- Health Care Facility and Provider Database
- Nursing Home Survey Results
- Resident and Provider Information
- Nursing Home Inspections
- Nursing Services Agencies SNSA
- Paid Feeding Assistants in Nursing Homes
Health Regulation - Facilities and Professions
- Facility Certification, Regulation and Licensing
- Facility Manager Resources
- Choosing a Facility
- Find a Provider
- Verify a Facility License or Professional Credential
- File a Complaint
- View Facility and Provider Complaint and Survey Findings
- Resident and Provider Resources
- About Health Regulation Division
Nursing Home Licensure and Certification
As of August 1, 2022, providers holding a valid license from a health-related licensing board (HLB) who has also undergone a background check under Minn. Statutes 214.075, shall not have a background study completed by the commissioner of human services (a NETStudy 2.0 background study).
MDH has created a document to address questions from providers and organizations about these changes, which you can find here: Background Studies for HLB-Licensed Providers FAQ (PDF)
This page contains information and forms required to operate as a licensed nursing home in Minnesota. Minnesota currently has a moratorium law (MN-Statute 144A-071) restricting the establishment of new nursing homes or the licensure of additional nursing home beds unless Minnesota legislation passes an exception to nursing home moratorium law.
- License Renewal
- Change of Ownership
- Transfer Agreements
- State Requirements
- Federal Requirements
- Federal Survey Data
- Emergency Preparedness
Providers are required to renew their Nursing Home license each year. A license may be renewed for up to one year if the licensee:
- submits an application for renewal at least 60 days before the expiration of the license,
- pays the renewal fee, and
- provides information sufficient to show that the applicant meets the requirements of licensure.
Related MN Rule: 4658.0025 - MN Rules Part
The application form can be downloaded here: Application for a License to Operate a Nursing Home (PDF). The completed application, supporting documents, and payment can be mailed to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Health Regulation Division
PO Box 64900
St. Paul, MN 55164-0900
If you have questions regarding your license renewal, please contact the Federal Licensing/Certification team by email at Health.HRD-FedLCR@state.mn.us or call 651-201-4200.
Change of Ownership
Information about changes of ownership for nursing homes can be found on the Nursing Home Change of Ownership page.
- Minnesota Administrative Rules, Chapter 4658, Nursing Homes
- Order a copy of the Nursing Home Rules from Minnesota's Bookstore
- Quick Reference Department of Labor and Industry: Quick Reference Guide to Care Facilities in Minnesota (PDF): Building and Fire Codes
- Per Minnesota Statutes, Sec. 295.50, providers who recieve payments for providing health care services may be subject to the MinnesotaCare Provider Tax (Minnesota Department of Revenue).
144.651 | 144.652 | 144A.02 | 144A.03 | 144A.04 | 144A.05 | 144A.06 | 144A.07 | 144A.071 | 144A.073 | 144A.08 | 144A.09 | 144A.10 | 144A.102 | 144A.105 | 144A.11 | 144A.115 | 144A.12 | 144A.13 | 144A.135 | 144A.15 | 144A.154 | 144A.155 | 144A.161 | 144A.162 | 144A.18 | 626.557 | 626.556 | 626.5572 | 626.558 | Fees
- State Operations Manual, Chapter 2-The Certification Process
- State Operations Manual, Chapter 5, Complaint Procedures
- State Operations Manual, Chapter 7, Survey and Enforcement Process for Skilled Nursing Facilities and Nursing Facilities
- State Operation Manual, Appendix PP: Guidance to Surveyors for Long Term Care Facilities: Select "Appendices Table of Contents," then click on the Appendix PP: Interpretive Guidelines for Long-Term Care Facilities.
Federal Survey Data
S&C's Quality, Certification and Oversight Reports (QCOR)
Quality and Certification Oversight Reports (QCOR) website includes summarized federal survey and certification and complaints data, including results of onsite inspections, of providers and suppliers and deficiency data links and more.
Emergency Preparedness Rule
Emergency preparedness resources and surveyor tools.
Emergency Preparedness Requirements for Medicare and Medicaid Participating Providers and Suppliers
Links to resources that can help provider and suppliers comply with the recently released Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Emergency Preparedness Rule. Has a document titled "Resources at Your Fingertips," which contains check lists and fact sheets on the essential four core elements of the CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule.
State Operation Manual, Appendix Z- Guidance to Surveyors: Emergency Preparedness for All Provider and Certified Supplier Types Interpretive Guidance
Directions: Select Appendices Table of Contents, Scroll to Appendix Letter Z, and Federal Regulations for Emergency Preparedness for All Provider and Certified Supplier types.
CMS Quality, Safety & Education Portal (QSEP) - CMS Emergency Preparedness Basic Surveyor Training Course (EP)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Survey & Certification Group (SCG) developed the Emergency Preparedness Basic Surveyor Training Course to help health and safety and Life Safety Code (LSC) surveyors and reviewers gain proficiency in surveying all affected participating providers and certified suppliers for compliance with their individual emergency preparedness requirements. Because the individual regulations for each provider and supplier type share a majority of standard provisions, this training provides consistent guidance and survey procedures for all provider and supplier types in a single course. The estimated course completion time for this training is 16 hours.
MDH Center for Emergency Preparedness & Response
This section of MDH coordinates preparedness activities and assists Minnesota Department of Health staff, local public health agencies, hospitals, health care organizations, tribes and public safety officials in their efforts to plan for respond to and recover from public health emergencies.