- Learn what you can do to keep bacteria from spreading throughout the kitchen onto hands, cutting boards, utensils, counter tops and food.
- Tips for cooking, chilling, and defrosting foods to help prevent foodborne illness.
- Tips for storing and preserving food properly to prevent foodborne illness.
- Tips for preparing food for groups, bringing leftovers home, cooking when traveling, and packing lunches.
- Information for handling specific foods like eggs, turkey, hamburger, fish, and fruits and vegetables.
- Did you know that a national disaster or the loss of power could jeopardize the safety of your food?
- Foodborne illness is caused by consuming food or beverages that are contaminated by disease-causing microbes or pathogens. Find out which diseases are spread via food, and what you can do about them.
- Food safety in restaurants, cafes, and other food and beverage establishments. Including food manager certification, food and beverage establishment licensing, regulations and food code, and more about keeping food safe in food business.
- Food safety information for food workers in schools and childcare, and for parents and caregivers.
- A food recall is a voluntary action by a manufacturer or distributor to protect the public from products that may cause health problems or possible death.
- Fact sheets, brochures, signs, and other materials that you can print and use.
Make Handwashing a Healthy Habit
Thorough hand washing can help prevent disease.
Refrigerator and Freezer Storage Chart
This chart gives short, conservative storage times to protect you from food spoilage (what you risk in long refrigeration) and from taste loss (what happens when food is left too long in the freezer).
Learn more about Norovirus, how to minimize your risk of acquiring norovirus infection, required reporting information, clinical features, laboratory diagnosis, treatment and more.
There's No Such Thing as "Stomach Flu" (PDF)
Complaints of "stomach flu" are usually norovirus, the most common cause of gastrointestinal illness.
Food Safety Basics: Preventing Foodborne Illness
There's a lot you can do to handle and prepare your food safely. Learn what you can do to prepare, serve and store food safely.