Using Client Follow-Up
MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) Client Follow-Up tool identifies clients who are due or overdue for immunizations and helps facilitate a process called reminder/recall to follow up with them. You can use this feature along with the Childhood, Adolescent, or Adult Immunization Summary Report to plan and carry out targeted immunization improvement activities.
Benefits of Client Follow-Up
Following up with clients who are due or overdue for immunizations can help ensure they get up to date on immunizations and protected from vaccine-preventable diseases. MIIC’s Client Follow-Up feature can help:
- Health care providers improve immunization coverage rates for their client populations by doing outreach to clients due and overdue for vaccination.
- Health care providers complete reminder/recall activities as part of a clinic improvement plan requested by many health plans and professional organizations.
- Local public health agencies conduct population-based reminder/recall.
- Health care providers and local public health agencies identify and follow up with clients who are unvaccinated during a vaccine-preventable disease outbreak.
- Child care facilities and schools identify enrollee immunization statuses.
How to Use Client Follow-Up
The first step is to identify a group of clients for follow-up. This group can be based on the population of clients associated with a particular organization or county in MIIC, or on a list of clients you submit through the Lists feature. For more information on the Lists feature, see Using Lists in MIIC. You can customize your follow-up group by:
- Vaccine(s) of interest
- Vaccine status (due or overdue)
Client Follow-Up will produce a list of clients to follow up with based on the criteria you select. You can customize this list further by selecting clients to keep and clients to remove.
Then, you can select outputs for conducting follow-up. Visit Client Follow-Up for step-by-step user guidance and training resources.
Client Follow-Up Outputs
MIIC’s Client Follow-Up feature produces the following outputs to facilitate reminder/recall:
- Client Report: This report shows clients on your follow-up list who are due or overdue for recommended immunizations. You can print this list and use it to track your quality improvement activities.
- Mailing Labels: This creates a PDF that you can use to print mailing labels for reminder/recall mailings.
- Mail Merge: This provides client-specific data in a comma-separated values (CSV) file that you can use to generate customized letters or auto-dialer messages.
- Contact List: This Excel spreadsheet shows client information for clients on your follow-up list. This output makes it easy to sort and search among a large list of clients.
Quality Improvement Uses
Health care providers can use the Client Follow-Up feature to identify clients due or overdue for immunizations and get them back into the office. MIIC’s Childhood, Adolescent, and Adult Immunization Summary Reports can help you identify immunization rates in your client population and focus outreach efforts on vaccines with lower rates. See Immunization Assessment for more information.
Having solid quality improvement plans and activities in place can help health care providers receive more Meaningful Use dollars and have better outcome data to report to public sources such as HEDIS and Minnesota Community Measures. Most of all, improving immunization rates ensures that you are helping to maintain and improve the health of your clients.