Participating in MIIC
Health care providers, schools, child care centers, health plans, and other organizations listed in Minnesota Statutes, 144.3351 Immunization Data are encouraged to participate in the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) to support immunization practice, monitoring, and improvement in Minnesota.
Pharmacies operating in Minnesota are mandated to use MIIC to assess patient immunization status and report vaccination data.
Becoming a MIIC participant
Data privacy, security, and data quality are top priorities for the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC). Organizations must complete and submit a MIIC Data Use Agreement (DUA) before being set up in MIIC, and every three years while participating, as a commitment to upholding these priorities. Please complete Data Use Agreement for Participating in the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection. Before completing the DUA, you can view a pdf of the content at Content for the Data Use Agreement for Participating in the Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (PDF)
- Guidance on Completing the MIIC Data Use Agreement (PDF)
Provides information and guidance for completing the MIIC Data Use Agreement.
- MIIC Data Use Agreement FAQ (PDF)
Responds to frequently asked questions about the MIIC Data Use Agreement.
- Facilities Participating in Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) Spreadsheet (Excel)
If you are signing the Agreement on behalf of multiple facilities, you will be prompted to upload this facilities spreadsheet to enroll or renew enrollment in MIIC.
After submitting the electronic Data Use Agreement, you will receive a confirmation email. If you are newly enrolling, the MIIC Help Desk will contact you to confirm your enrollment and provide login information.
Identify which of the following key MIIC features your organization will likely use.
- Patient/client immunization assessment: MIIC offers a comprehensive view of a patient's immunization history and forecasting of immunizations needed based on current Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) guidelines.
- Patient/client immunization reports: MIIC offers a number of patient immunization reports, including a Vaccine Administration Record pre-populated with a patient’s demographic information and a comprehensive Minnesota Immunization Record that can be printed and given to a patient.
- State-supplied vaccine ordering: Organizations participating in MDH vaccine programs, such as Minnesota Vaccines for Children (MnVFC), are encouraged to use Vaccine Ordering and Management in MIIC for their state-supplied vaccine.
- Tools for immunization assessment, outreach, and quality improvement: MIIC offers Child and Adolescent Assessment Reports to monitor immunization rates within a provider's patient population, as well as Client Follow-Up tools to facilitate outreach to patients due or overdue for immunizations. For more information, see MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources.
If you don't have access to all the features you need with your current user role, contact the MIIC Help Desk for assistance.
Identify and (if applicable) register for the option your organization will use for Reporting Immunization Data to MIIC (PDF).
- Manual data entry within the MIIC application: Manual data entry involves logging into the MIIC application, searching for a client, and entering immunization data on the client's record. For more information about manual reporting, see MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources.
- Electronic data submission or exchange: Setting up an electronic data connection with MIIC involves mapping source system/Electronic Health Record (EHR) data elements to MIIC-recognized data fields, setting up a file extract from the source system/EHR, and supporting a transport mechanism for transferring data between the source system/EHR and MIIC. We recommend organizations consider two-way exchanges that allow data to flow from an EHR to MIIC and from MIIC to an EHR. Check out the benefits of setting up a two-way exchange at Exchange Data with MIIC (PDF). To register for an electronic data exchange with MIIC, visit Process for Working on Data Exchange with MIIC.
Once you have completed steps 1-4, you are ready to actively participate in MIIC.
- MIIC Login
For providers and organizations who are MIIC users.
- Use the Immunization Materials Order Form to order MIIC materials. Organizations that participate in MIIC are responsible for informing their clients of their MIIC participation. Displaying MIIC materials is one way to fulfill this responsibility.
- Visit MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources for additional user guidance assistance.
- Check out the MIIC News Flash to stay up to date on MIIC news.
- If you have any questions or concerns, contact the MIIC Help Desk.
Allowable uses of MIIC
MIIC-participating organizations are allowed to access MIIC records of people to whom they provide services. The MIIC Data Use Agreement (DUA) signed by all participating organizations allows organizations to use this access for several purposes, including to assess an person's immunization status for the purpose of determining needed immunization, issue reminder notices to people due or recommended for immunizations, and produce individual immunization reports for school admission, child care enrollment, or other enrollment purposes.
Accessing an employee's immunization history for employment verification or any other purposes, however, is not an allowable use of MIIC under the MIIC Data Use Agreement, nor is such access authorized without consent under Minnesota's immunization data sharing law.
We appreciate your help in ensuring your staff are aware of and the allowable and unallowable uses of MIIC and assess their access of the system is consistent with the Data Use Agreement you have signed. You can contact the MIIC Help Desk if you have any questions.