How SHIP Creates Health in Our Communities
Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) supports community-driven solutions to expand opportunities for active living, healthy eating and commercial tobacco-free living, helping all people in Minnesota prevent chronic diseases including cancer, heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
SHIP communities are thriving communities
SHIP helps build thriving communities, creating opportunities for all people in Minnesota to live longer, healthier lives. Ninety percent of the nation’s health care costs are for people with chronic conditions, and the majority of those costs are preventable.
SHIP is statewide
SHIP is a comprehensive health strategy coordinated across all of Minnesota's 87 counties and 10 tribal nations. SHIP is statewide, with the Minnesota legislature providing $17.5 million in funding per year to support critical primary prevention activities led by local public and tribal health partners.
Where SHIP works
- Schools and child care
- Health care
How SHIP works
Thanks to SHIP, Minnesota communities are:
- increasing access to fresh, local fruits and vegetables at farmers markets, local corner stores, emergency food programs, mobile markets and other food retailers
- serving healthier foods and increasing access to physical activity opportunities at schools and child care facilities
- making biking and walking easier in Minnesota towns and cities
- taking steps to make multi-unit housing sites smoke free
- working with small- and mid-sized employers to improve workers’ health and productivity
- working with health care sites to strengthen connections to community to ensure that patients are referred to evidence-based programs in their area
- supporting new moms so its easier for them to breastfeed after they return to work or school
- and more.
SHIP = local leadership, local partners and local expertise
SHIP work is directed by local community leadership teams that bring expertise and connections to the table. The complex, comprehensive nature of this work requires strong relationships, partnerships and expertise at the local level.
Interested in partnering with SHIP in your community? Connect with your local SHIP contact to get started.