CRAB Information for Health Professionals:
Required Reporting and Infection Prevention Guidance
Required Disease Reporting
In 2011, MDH initiated sentinel surveillance for carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB) in Hennepin and Ramsey counties. On March 1, 2020, MDH expanded surveillance for CRAB to statewide under 4605.7080 of the Communicable Disease Reporting Rule.
- Reporting CRAB
CRAB must be reported to MDH within one working day after the test result is finalized.
- CRAB Isolate Submission and Laboratory Testing
Isolate must be submitted to MDH for additional testing.
Infection Prevention and Control
Patients colonized or infected with CRAB can spread the bacteria to other patients via the contaminated hands of healthcare workers, through contaminated medical equipment, or a contaminated health care environment. Implementing infection prevention and control measures is critical to preventing CRAB transmission in health care facilities.
- Place patients with CRAB infection or colonization in a private room using Contact Precautions.
- Patients can remain colonized with CRAB for long periods of time. Discontinuing Contact Precautions for patients with a history of CRAB is generally not recommended. Consult with MDH if you have any questions about the need for Contact Precautions.
- To reduce the risk of transmission from shared equipment, dedicate as much equipment as possible to patients with CRAB infection or colonization. Ensure thorough cleaning between uses of equipment that must be shared.
- Staff should adhere to policies related to performing hand hygiene and environmental cleaning of the patient care environment, including medical equipment.
- Refer to CDC’s Facility Guidance for Control of Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) (PDF) for full infection prevention guidance.
- If a case of carbapenemase-producing CRAB (CP-CRAB) is identified in a health care facility, MDH will work with that facility to implement additional containment strategies. For more information, visit CDC: Containment Strategy Responding to Emerging AR Threats.