Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders (PMAD)
Contacts and Resources
- Perinatal Mental Health Support
- Depression or Anxiety During and After Pregnancy
- Support for BIPOC Parents
- Support for LGBTQ+ Parents
Information for Parents and Caregivers
Information for Health Care Providers
Information for Public Health
Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) Parents
There is an urgent need for perinatal mental health support for LGBTQ+ birthing people.
- 35.6 % of sexual minority women screened positive for perinatal depression.
- Individuals self-identifying as bisexual and lesbian women are more likely to experience pregnancy and infant loss, low birth weight infants, and very preterm births, compared to heterosexual women. These are all risk factors for postpartum mood/anxiety disorders.
- In comparison to heterosexual and cis-gender adults, LGBTQ+ adults have:
- Higher likelihood of experiencing a mental health condition (lesbian, gay and bisexual adults are twice as likely; transgender adults are 4X more likely).
- Increased likelihood of attempting suicide (LGB adults are 4X more likely; 43% of transgender adults have attempted suicide).
Recommendations for healthcare professionals:
- Clinic and hospital staff education about inclusive language and how to address the unique needs of LGBTQ+ patients, which may increase trust and openness to following through with seeking support.
- Oregon Health & Science University Inclusive Language Guide
- Provide referrals and recommendations that are informed in best practices in treating LGBTQ+ parents, when possible.
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Health Care for Transgender and Gender Diverse Individuals
- Talk with LGBTQ+ patients about the fears they may have about childbirth, postpartum, and emotions surrounding gender dysphoria.
Culturally sensitive, accessible, social support and trauma-informed resources are currently available to help LGBTQ+ parents and caregivers with perinatal mental health. Explore and utilize the following resources to help you, a loved one, or a patient with mental health during and after pregnancy.
Resources for LGBTQ+ Parents
- Queer Birth Project: Minnesota based organization that provides support groups and more
- Minnesota Gay & Bi Fathers Support Group: Monthly meetings and events provided
- Twin Cities Gay Mommies: Facebook support group for lesbian mamas or mamas-to-be
- Twin Cities Queer Families: Facebook support group for queer-identified parents and caregivers