Radioactive Materials: Licensing and Forms - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Licensing and Forms

Any organization or individual intending to possess or use radioactive materials must obtain a license. The use of very small amounts of radioactive materials -- like the tiny radiation source inside many smoke detectors -- is exempt from licensing or is authorized by a general license, which does not require active control to assure safety. However, for the manufacturing of these and similar items, a specific license involving regulatory control is required.

Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) license specifies the types and quantities of radioactive materials that may be possessed and used, as well as any specific restrictions on their use. Typically, licenses describe the location of use, the training and qualifications of workers, specific procedures for using the materials, and any special safety precautions required. The license holder must follow the specific license requirements as well as the more general MDH rules.

Other Resources

Updated Monday, 11-Mar-2019 12:55:52 CDT