2022 Minnesota Syphilis Virtual Learning Series
Slowing the spread of syphilis
Tuesdays October 4, 11, 18, and 25, 2022, 1 - 3:30 p.m.
- FREE virtual learning sessions addressing syphilis prevention, screening, and treatment
- Four afternoon sessions in October
This learning series is intended for medical/clinical personnel who work in settings that identify, screen, test, diagnose, and treat syphilis.
- Understand current epidemiologic trends for syphilis and congenital syphilis in Minnesota.
- Review the ways in which programs at the Minnesota Department of Health collaborate with providers to prevent and address syphilis and congenital syphilis.
- Learn current best practices for screening, diagnosing, and treating syphilis and congenital syphilis.
The University of Washington School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Washington School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. (Each session is 2.5 credit)
Agenda and topics
Syphilis Learning Series Agenda (PDF)
Download or print the agenda.
Syphilis Learning Series Save the Date (PDF)
Download or print the save the date.
Tuesday, October 4 Topics: Epidemiology of Syphilis and Partner Services
- Minnesota Syphilis Data
- Journey of a Case Report
- Partner Services at the Minnesota Department of Health
- The Importance of Partners
Tuesday, October 11 Topics: Screening, Staging, and Treating Syphilis
- Syphilis Screening Guidelines
- Syphilis Staging and Treatment
- Strategies for Educating Patients and Eliciting Partner Information
Tuesday, October 18 Topics: Addressing Social Factors
- Inclusive Sexual Health History/Risk Assessments
- Fostering Diversity and Inclusion in Sexual Health Settings
- Providing Low-Barrier Services to Prevent Syphilis
Tuesday, October 25 Topics: Congenital Syphilis
- Syphilis Diagnosis and Treatment in Pregnancy
- Congenital Syphilis Diagnosis and Treatment
- Caring for Pregnant People with Substance Use Disorder
The speakers below will present keynote/plenary sessions. Speakers may change as plans are confirmed.
- Stephen Contag, MD
Syphilis Diagnosis and Treatment in Pregnancy
- Alexandra Douglas, MD, MPH
Obstetrics and Gynecology Specialist
Caring for Pregnant Persons with Substance Use Disorder
- Jill Foster, MD
Congenital Syphilis Diagnosis and Treatment
- Leo Moore, MD, MSHPM
Medical Director, Clinical Services, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
Fostering Diversity and Inclusion in Sexual Health Settings
- Anne Rompalo, MD, ScM
Professor of Medicine and Gynecology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Margot Savoy, MD, MPH,FAAFP
Senior Vice President, Education, American Academy of Family Physicians
Inclusive Sexual Health History/Risk Assessments
Hosted by Minnesota Department of Health and Health Care Education Training.