Body Art Related Links
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
Tattoo-Associated Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Skin Infections - Multiple States, 2011-2012
US Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- FDA Advises Consumers, Tattoo Artists, and Retailers to Avoid Using or Selling Certain Tattoo Inks Contaminated with Microorganisms
- Think Before You Ink: Are Tattoos Safe?
- Tattoo Inks Pose Health Risks
- Tattoo and Permanent Makeup: Fact Sheet
- Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Tattoo Ink, Tattoo Needles, Tattoo Kits Due to Microbial Contamination. July 11, 2014
- Article on How Tattoo Removal Works
- FDA: Inked and Regretful: Removing Tattoos
Note: MDH does not regulate tattoo removal.
- Additives Used in Henna Tattoo Materials - Potential Health Concerns (MDH)
- FDA: Temporary Tattoos, Henna/Mehndi, and "Black Henna"
- FDA: Temporary Tattoos May Put You at Risk
Note: MDH does not regulate temporary/henna tattoos.
Better Business Bureau Accredited Businesses in the category of Ear* & Body Piercing
*Note: MN body piercing regulation does not include the piercing of the outer perimeter or the lobe of the ear using a presterilized single-use stud-and-claps ear-piercing system.
MDH Body Art Regulation Related Links
Local Minnesota Jurisdictions where Establishment Licensure Meets or Exceeds the State's Standards
Some municipal or county agencies many have body art regulations in addition to the State's regulations, even if it is not listed below. Contact your local jurisdictions to make sure you are also in compliance with all the local laws where you are operating. All body art technicians must be licensed with the State, regardless of local jurisdiction regulation requirements.
City of Bloomington
City Clerk's Office
1800 W Old Shakopee Road
Bloomington, MN 55431-3027
City of Minneapolis
Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S 4th St, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Community Health & Environmental Services Department
2100 3rd Avenue, Suite 600
Anoka, MN 55303
Human Services and Public Health Department
1011 First Street South, Suite 215
Hopkins, MN 55343